Pics from the mart: Sharp trade for quality bullocks at Castlerea Mart
On Monday (September 28) Castlerea Mart held its annual show and sale of Aberdeen Angus bullocks, as well as the sale of continental bullocks.
Speaking to AgriLand about the sale, the mart manager, Brendan Egan, said: “We had about 40 lots and, obviously, due to the fact that it was a show and sale of Aberdeen Angus cattle, the majority of cattle on offer were of that breed; however, mixed among them were a couple of pens of continental cattle as well – all of which sold well.Also Read: €3,010 (€8.60/kg) paid for a weanling heifer at Castlerea Mart
“All in all, it was a very good trade, with the prize winning Aberdeen Angus beef and store bullocks making from €1,250/head up to a top call of €1,510/head.
“Good cattle are a good trade and that is being reflected in the prices being paid out. Very few cattle went unsold on Monday.”
Sample bullock prices:
- Aberdeen Angus: 445kg – €1,020 or €2.29/kg;
- Limousin: 415kg – €910 or €2.20/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 565kg – €1,330 or €2.35/kg;
- Charolais: 560kg – €1,290 or €3.30/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 490kg – €1,100 or €2.24/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 555kg – €1,140 or €2.05/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 490kg – €930 or €1.89/kg;
- Simmental: 690kg – €1,440 or €2.08/kg;
- Charolais: 735kg – €1,550 or €2.10/kg;
- Limousin: 665kg – €1,360 or €2.04/kg;
- Simmental: 635kg – €1,300 or €2.04/kg.
Click on a thumbnail in the gallery (below) to open up a full-size image; once opened you can scroll sideways to see the next picture. Refer to each caption to see details of each lot, including the hammer price.