Carnew’s David Quinn reported a record price of €163/head for a pen of 12 well-fleshed hoggets at the mart’s weekly sale on Thursday last (January 14).
A strong sale of 3,231 sheep – which was well up from the 1,892 sheep on offer the previous week – was met with a flying trade, with the record price being achieved by a pen of hoggets weighing 70kg.
This record price was closely followed by another pen of fleshed hoggets weighing 60kg that sold for €159/head.
Any fleshed hoggets weighing in excess of 48kg sold from €146/head upwards, while highs of €137-141/head were seen for lambs weighing 45-46kg.
Some smashing prices were seen for stores, with 38-39kg sheep selling to highs €119-123/head.
Sample prices for butcher hoggets:
- 22 hoggets weighing 58kg sold for €157/head or €2.70/kg;
- 25 hoggets weighing 54kg sold for €155/head or €2.87/kg;
- 22 hoggets weighing 53kg sold for €153/head or €2.88/kg;
- 18 hoggets weighing 56kg sold for €155/head or €2.76/kg;
- 16 hoggets weighing 49kg sold for €151/head or €3.08/kg.
David noted that heavy cull ewes sold strongly on the day, with prices for these types ranging from €120/head up to €144/head, while lighter, more feeding-type ewes, made from €77/head up to €110/head.
Lastly, a good trade was seen for in-lamb ewes. Full and broken-mouthed ewes sold for €150-170/head, with better-quality ewes making up to a tops of €200/head.