Video: ‘Strong demand for store bullocks weighing 450-550kg’ – Brendan Egan
On Monday last (September 28), AgriLand made the trip down to Castlerea Mart to see what the trade was like for bullocks and also to speak to the mart manager, Brendan Egan.
On the day, a show and sale of Aberdeen Angus bullocks took place, as well as the sale of continental bullocks.
There was a “good demand both ringside and online for good-quality stores weighing anywhere from 450kg up to 550kg”. Prices for these lots ranged from €950/head up to €1,270/head, in general.
Sample bullock prices:
- Aberdeen Angus: 490kg – €1,100 or €2.24/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 545kg – €1,120 or €2.05/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 490kg – €930 or €1.89/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 460kg – €1,080 or €2.34/kg;
- Charolais: 520kg – €1,230 or €2.36/kg;
- Charolais: 515kg – €1,260 or €2.44/kg.
In the video (below), Brendan speaks about the trade at present and how it compares to this time last year.
Weanling heifer tops the sale at €3,010 last Thursday
On Thursday last (September 24), a show and sale of Belgian Blue weanlings and continental heifers took place at Castlerea Mart.
The standout price on the day was €3,010 for a Belgian Blue weanling heifer weighing 350kg.
The majority, if not all, of the Belgian Blue weanlings on Thursday last made over €3.00/kg.
Sample Belgian Blue weanling heifer and bull prices:
- Heifer: 295kg – €1,190 or €4.00kg;
- Heifer: 270kg – €900 or €3.33/kg;
- Heifer: 380kg – €1,410 or €3.71/kg;
- Heifer: 330kg – €1,180 or €3.57/kg;
- Bull: 363kg – €1,300 or €3.58/kg;
- Bull: 340kg – €1,220 or €3.59/kg.
First prize winner in the continental heifer section went to a Charolais heifer – weighing 650kg – that sold for €1,580 or €2.43/kg.
Good-quality heifers weighing from 475kg up to near 700kg made anywhere from just over €1,050/head up to nearly €1,700/head.
Sample heifer prices:
- Charolais: 420kg – €1,070 or €2.54/kg;
- Limousin: 415kg – €1,050 or €2.53/kg;
- Limousin: 490kg – €1,440 or €2.93/kg;
- Charolais: 650kg – €1,580 or €2.43/kg;
- Charolais: 735kg – €1,670 or €2.27/kg.