Forward-type cattle were better by €20-30/head – Kevin Murphy
Kevin Murphy reported a smaller sale of cattle at Enniscorthy Mart on Tuesday (September 22); however, he noted that cattle continue to sell well.
Speaking to AgriLand about the trade on the day, he said: “There was a good entry of quality forward cattle on offer and the demand was strong for all types. Prices for the forward cattle were up €20-30/head on last week.
“There was a good entry of dairy-cross Angus and whitehead cattle on offer. The bullocks ranged from €1.75/kg for the plainer lots up to a standout price of €2.07/kg for three quality Angus bullocks weighing 450kg that sold for €930/head. The bulk of the bullocks sold for in or around €1.88/kg.
“Heifers sold from €1.75/kg up to €1.90/kg for quality lots, with the majority selling for in or around €1.85/kg.”
Sample Aberdeen Angus and Hereford-cross bullock and heifer prices:
- Aberdeen Angus bullock: 450kg – €930 or €2.06/kg;
- Hereford bullock: 650kg – €1,290 or €1.98/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus bullock: 680kg – €1,320 or €1.94/kg;
- Hereford heifer: 540kg – €950 or €1.75/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus heifer: 425kg – €790 or €1.85/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus heifer: 570kg – €1,070 or €1.87/kg.
Continental store cattle
Kevin said that suckler-bred cattle remain in very strong demand from both farmers and agents looking to buy good-quality stock.
He added: “There was a large entry of forward stores on offer, while lighter continentals were less plentiful. Quality bullocks ranged from €2.01/kg up to €2.58/kg, with the bulk of these types selling for in the region of €2.18/kg.
“Suckler-bred heifers sold from €1.96/kg for the plainer lots up to €2.31/kg for quality lots. Continentals out of the dairy herd continue to sell well and ranged anywhere from €1.87/kg up to €2.14/kg.
“Continental weanling bulls were scarce on the day, but sold from €2.00/kg up to €2.33/kg.”
Sample continental bullock and heifer prices:
- Limousin bullock: 710kg – €1,510 or €2.12/kg;
- Charolais bullock: 700kg – €1,560 or €2.22/kg;
- Belgian Blue bullock: 600kg – €1,360 or €2.26/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 350kg – €750 or €2.14/kg;
- Charolais heifer: 585kg – €1,310 or €2.23/kg;
- Limousin bullock: 275kg – €710 or €2.58/kg;
- Limousin weanling bull: 420kg – €840 or €2.00/kg;
- Limousin weanling bull: 300kg – €700 or €2.33/kg.
Friesian bullocks sold from €1.52/kg for the lighter plainer lots right up to €1.84/kg for forward-type lots.
Sample Friesian bullock prices:
- 760kg: €1,360 or €1.79/kg;
- 690kg: €1,270 or €1.84/kg;
- 541kg: €850 or €1.57/kg;
- 487kg: €740 or €1.52/kg.
Store Friesian cows sold from €1.23/kg up to €1.43/kg. Cull cows will become more plentiful over the coming weeks as more farmers scan their herds.
Sample Friesian cow prices:
- 650kg: €890 or €1.36/kg;
- 615kg: €880 or €1.43/kg;
- 670kg: €940 or €1.40/kg;
- 570kg: €720 or €1.26/kg.