NDC Milk Quality Awards winner 2018 announced
The winner of the NDC and Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards 2018 has been announced as Darren McKenna, a LacPatrick Dairies supplier from Co. Monaghan.
McKenna received the overall award at a ceremony in Dublin today (Wednesday, October 3), chosen from a shortlist of nine finalists.
The awards recognise standards of excellence in dairy farming, with dairy co-operatives throughout the country invited to nominate their top suppliers.
There were nine award categories, in addition to the overall prize.
— NationalDairyCouncil (@NDC_ie) October 3, 2018
McKenna also secured the Healthy Herd Award.
The Data Management Award went to Tom, Mary and Michael Ryan from Co. Tipperary, who supply Centenary Thurles.
Meanwhile, Award for Best Winter Milk went to Aurivo supplier John McTiernan from Co. Longford, while the Best TBC prize went to Dairygold-nominated Kevin Downing from Cork.
The Sustainability award went to Limerick farmer and Kerry supplier John O’Shaughnessy, with the Best SCC trophy going to Waterford’s Keating family, who supply Glanbia.
Best Protein Production was awarded to Liam and Dolores O’Donovan from Cork, who were nominated by Drinagh; Bandon suppliers Tim and Dan Crowley – also from Cork – took the Development Award.
Excellence for Business Innovation went to Else Furney, who supplies Barryroe.
- Tom, Mary and Michael Ryan, Lisheen Lower Moyne, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, who were nominated by Centenary Thurles;
- John O’Shaughnessy, Ballynolan, Kildimo, Co. Limerick; nominated by Kerry Agribusiness;
- Liam and Dolores O’Donovan, Clohane, Skibbereen, Co. Cork, nominated by Drinagh;
- Else Furney, Ballinagaragh, Kilbrittain, Bandon, Co. Cork, nominated by Barryroe Co-Op;
- Tim and Dan Crowley, Careys Cross, Clancoolbeg, Bandon, Co. Cork, nominated by Bandon Co-Op;
- Kevin Downing, Parkduv Farm Ltd, Farranastig, Whitechurch, Co. Cork, nominated by Dairygold Co-Op;
- John Patrick Keating and his family, of Crobally, Old Parish, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, nominated by Glanbia Ireland;
- Darren McKenna, Derrygasson Farms Ltd, Derrygasson, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan, nominated by Lacpatrick Dairies; and
- John McTiernan, Mullaghavorneen, Co. Longford, nominated by Aurivo.
As part of the judging process, judges carried out detailed assessments based on submitted nomination forms and technical reports which spanned a full 12-month period.