Gardai investigate as fire engulfs farm shed overnight
Gardai in Ferbane Co. Offaly are investigating a fire in a farm shed in Co. Offaly which began this morning, Wednesday, December 21.
Units of the fire brigade were alerted to the blaze in the early hours of the morning.
The fire is said to have began at around 4am this morning at a farm near Ballycumber Co. Offaly, according to the Gardai.
The shed, which burnt overnight, is believed to have contained some tractors, farm machinery and a number of hay bales.
The cause of the blaze has yet to be confirmed, but the investigation remains on going.
Preventing a Fire around Farm Machinery
Meanwhile, the safest way to deal with a blaze is to prevent it, according to the Health and Safety Authority (HSA).
The HSA advise that all farm machinery and plant equipment should be properly maintained to protect against catching fire or overheating.
Proper housekeeping, such as preventing ventilation points on machinery becoming clogged with dust or other materials causing overheating is also recommended.
This programme should deal with frictional heat, electrical malfunction, flammable materials used in contact with hot surfaces, leaking valves or flanges which allow seepage of flammable liquids or gases and static sparks.
All electrical equipment should regularly be checked by a competent person to prevent sparks and fires, the HSA says.