Commercial weanling heifer sells for €7,400 at elite sale
A special sale of elite haltered commercial cattle was held last Saturday (November 21) at Stranorlar Mart in Co. Donegal.
The sale attracted a lot of pre-sale interest from buyers up and down the country, with customers getting the opportunity to purchase high quality commercial animals.
Topping the sale at an impressive €7,400 or €20.78/kg was a January 2020-born Limousin-cross heifer (pictured above). Weighing in at 356kg on the day, this roan heifer was exhibited by Sean Hughes from Carrickmacross in Co. Monaghan. Sean had high hopes for this heifer before the sale, as he explained:
I had received a very good offer at home prior to the sale for her, but I just said I will take a chance and bring her to the sale; luckily it paid off.
Following closely at €7,300 was a Charolais-cross heifer, exhibited by Martin Harold from Glenswilly, Co. Donegal. This May 2020-born heifer weighed in at 340kg, which resulted in her selling at €21.47/kg.
A four-month-old Limousin heifer traded at a staggering €5,000. Exhibited by Pearse McNamee, this heifer weighed in at 240kg and sold at €20.83/kg.
Colm Harold also from Co. Donegal sold a five-month-old heifer for €4,800 or €16.00/kg. This Limousin-cross female weighed 300kg.
There was a slightly smaller selection of male calves available at the sale, however, this did not stop them achieving top prices.
Along with exhibiting the top-priced female, Sean Hughes also sold the highest-priced male, a Charolais bull calf – weighing in at 380kg – for €2,800 or €7.36/kg.
Pearse McNamee sold the second highest priced male for €2,500 or €6.94/kg. This July 2020-born calf weighed 306kg on the day.
Other leading prices included:
- Belgian Blue heifer: 410kg – €4,100 or €10.00/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 410kg – €4,000 or €9.75/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 398kg – €3,800 or €9.54/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 328kg – €3,700 or €11.28/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 578kg – €3,650 or €6.31/kg;
- Charolais heifer: 622kg – €3,450 or €5.54/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 374kg – €3,400 or €9.09/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 428kg – €3,250 or €7.59/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 454kg – €3,200 or €7.04/kg;
- Limousin heifer: 306kg – €3,050 or €9.96/kg.