Brexit: Traders reminded to register with department for post-transition period

The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine has published further information for Irish traders, reminding them to register with the department to continue trading with the UK after the transition period ends.

Despite seemingly little progress being made in negotiations between the EU and the UK, the clock is still ticking fast as the end of the transition period draws close – December 31, 2020.

The UK left the EU on January 31, 2020, on the basis of the withdrawal agreement, together with the political declaration that set out the framework of the future EU-UK partnership.

The agreement includes the transition period.

During this time, EU rules and regulations continue to apply to the UK and the UK will remain part of the EU’s single market and customs union.

According to the department, until then, there will be no immediate changes for citizens and businesses in their day-to-day dealings but, once the transition period ends, new rules will come into place.

Register with the Department

In order to continue importing and exporting plants, animals or products of plants or animal origin, the person responsible for the consignment must register with the Department of Agriculture and comply with the appropriate EU sanitary and phytosanitary requirements for third country imports.

Traders are asked to ensure that they contact and register with the appropriate control division of the department.

Registration can be undertaken by completing the CCS company registration form available through the department.


Access to the Trade Control and Expert System (TRACES), the European Commission’s online platform for the electronic completion of documentation required for imports of consignments from third countries and certain intra-community trade movements, may also be necessary for some traders.

TRACES is required for the importation of animals, animal products, food and some feed of non-animal origin and plants in the EU, along with internal EU trade and EU exports of animals and certain animal products.

Once the UK exits the EU, customs formalities will commence for all existing and new traders with the UK. As a result, such traders will be required to make customs declarations and will therefore need to register with Revenue for an Economic Operators’ Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

A trader who imports or exports goods into or out of the EU will need an EORI number. This number is valid throughout the EU. It is used as a common reference number for interactions with the customs authorities in any member state.