Weanling sales kick into gear – prices of over €3/kg achieved
Weanlings sales have kicked into gear across the country this week and good clearances for all cattle have been reported.
Mart managers have reported a large number of weanlings going under the hammer and the trade is said to be “extremely” strong.
This is largely due to farmer activity at the ringside. In addition, exporters have been busy purchasing both bull and heifer weanlings.
The trade was said to be “excellent” at Ennis mart on Tuesday, September 11. The quality of cattle on offer was high, in both the bull and heifer weanling ring, according to the mart’s Danny Moran.
Light bull weanlings, weighing under 300kg, met a very strong trade; these lots sold at €2.00-3.52/kg. Heavier weanlings bulls, weighing in excess of 300kg, traded at €2.13-3.25/kg.
- Charolais: 336kg – €1,080 or €3.14/kg;
- Charolais: 285kg – €910 or €3.19/kg;
- Limousin: 350kg – €1,075 or €3.07/kg;
- Limousin: 430kg – €1,160 or €2.70/kg.
Like the bulls, light heifers were a “super” trade and made €2.00-3.15/kg.
- Charolais: 298kg – €875 or €2.93/kg;
- Charolais: 355kg – €1,015 or €2.86/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 440kg – €1,200 or €2.73/kg:
- Limousin: 385kg – €1,035 or €2.69/kg.
Kilfenora Mart was “packed to capacity” for its annual weanling show and sale, according to the mart’s spokesperson.
The sale, which took place on Monday, September 11, consisted of mainly “top class” Charolais and Limousin weanlings.
Exporters, farmers and agents all made their presence felt at the ringside. Trade was reported as “brisk” and only a handful of lots went unsold.
- Limousin: 280kg – €835 or €2.98/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 385kg – €1,175 or €3.05/kg;
- Charolais: 355kg – €950 or €2.68/kg;
- Blonde D’Aquitaine: 245kg – €720 or €2.94/kg.
Bull weanlings met a super trade and a top price of €3.76/kg was achieved. Heifer weanlings made €2.00-3.64/kg; the lighter heifers (<300kg) on offer proved to be popular among the bidders.
- 2 LImousin: 280kg – €960 or €3.43/kg;
- 1 Limousin: 365kg – €1,200 or €3.29/kg;
- 3 Charolais: 288kgs – €970 or €3.36/kg;
- 1 Blonde D’Aquitaine: €925 or €3.19/kg.
Some 460 cattle passed through the ring of Carnew Mart, Co. Wicklow on Wednesday, September 13.
Heavier bulls, weighing over 450kg, sold for €900-1,590 and those weighing less than 450kg traded at €680-1,290.
- Limousin: 385kg – €980 or €2.54/kg;
- Limousin: 365kg – €930 or €2.54/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 335kg – €910 or €2.71/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 430kg – €1,200 or €2.79/kg.
According to the mart manager, David Quinn, the trade for weanlings was strong; heifers weighing over 450kg traded at €2.25-3.15/kg. Those weighing less that 450kg sold for €2.30-3.72/kg.
- Charolais: 282kg – €760 or €2.69/kg;
- Limousin: 300kg – €760 or €2.53/kg;
- Limousin: 388kg – €860 or €2.21/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 408kg – €1140 or €2.79/kg.
A show and sale of Belgian Blue weanlings also took place on Wednesday evening in the Co. Wicklow venue. A Belgian Blue bull, weighing 494kg, won first prize and sold for €1,590. The heifer class was won by an animal weighing 430kg; this heifer sold for €1,600 or €3.72/kg.