The essential pig data handbook
The Essential Pig Data Handbook is a pocket-sized reference booklet containing key figures and measurements for pig producers. The figures and measurements in the booklet are difficult to remember, but essential to know, as they are part of legislation and quality assurance standards in Northern Ireland.
The handbook is made of a hard-wearing, waterproof material and will therefore withstand a lot of use and abuse. It is split into five sections, the contents of which are:
· Section one – space requirements for dry sows, boars, in-pig and maiden gilts and growing pigs
· Section two – maximum gap openings and minimum beam widths for concrete slats
· Section three – daily water requirements, nipple drinker heights, water flow rates and water through lengths
· Section four – space allowances for transporting pigs and ramp angles
· Section five – nitrogen production figures, nitrogen content of slurry and slurry production figures
To receive a copy of the handbook contact CAFRE officer Liz Donnelly on 028 9442 6767.
Main Image: Liz Donnelly, Greenmount Campus and Ivor Ferguson, chairperson of the Ulster Farmers Union Pork and Bacon Committee using The Essential Pig Data Handbook to check the size of dry sow pens
The Essential Pig Data Handbook is made of a hard-wearing, waterproof material