There was a strong trade for the quality weanling heifer in Mohill Mart on Wednesday (February 17), according to Aurivo Mart’s general manager Stephen Hannon.
The sale was run as part of the ‘Monaghan Day’ event held in Mohill Mart this month.
There was a good clearance rate on the day, with only nine heifers not finding new homes out of a total of 420 weanling heifers entered.
Speaking about the demand for heifers on the day, Hannon stated: “The trade was very lively – some young heifers that were ideal for future breeding heifers, once they reach the right age, made up to €1,800/head and €1,850/head. They would have been the top prices.
“There were predominantly Charolais and Limousin heifers on offer, and plenty of those good breeding type heifers entered. There was no shortage of customers from the word go.
“In comparison to the bull weanling sale that we held the week before, the heifers were a flying trade – it was just a totally different sale.
“The overall average price for heifers on the day was €2.59/kg.
Looking at the figures, if we compare this heifer sale to the same sale last year, the average price was ahead by €45/head.
“If we look at some of the groups of heifers that were sold, one farmer who had a mix of Limousin and Charolais weighing an average of 309kg that sold for €2.68/kg.
“We had another farmer who had a group of heifers weighing 396kg that sold for €2.90/kg.”
Sample of top prices weanling heifers:
- Charolais: 410kg – €1,100 or €2.68/kg;
- Charolais: 405kg – €1,390 or €3.43/kg;
- Limousin: 400kg – €1,100 or €2.75/kg;
- Charolais: 390kg €1,120 or €2.87/kg;
- Charolais: 385kg – €1,210 or €3.14/kg;
- Limousin: 330kg – €1,000 or €3.03/kg;
- Limousin: 330kg – €1,030 or €3.12/kg;
- Limousin: 25kg – €980 or €3.01/kg;
- Charolais: 300kg – €850 or €2.83/kg;
- Charolais: 290kg – €820 or €2.82/kg.