The spring lamb trade at Kilkenny Mart yesterday (Monday, April 11), was described as disappointing.
The mart’s auctioneer, George Candler said that it was a disapppointing day for spring lamb producers with prices falling back from last week to reach a high of €176/head.
Looking at the trade, starting with the spring lambs, prices ranged from €3.35/kg up to €3.80/kg or from €150/head up to €176/head.
Sample spring lamb prices:
- 10 at 52kg sold for €176/head or €3.38/kg;
- 14 at 48kg sold for €168/head or €3.50/kg;
- 10 at 45kg sold for €162/head or €3.60/kg;
- Five at 44kg sold for €164/head or €3.73/kg;
- 10 at 41kg sold for €150/head or €3.66/kg.
Furthermore, George added that hoggets sold from a base of €140/head up to a high of €173/head for a pen of eight hoggets weighing 52kg.
Sample hogget prices:
- 16 at 62kg sold for €170/head or €2.64/kg;
- 12 at 58kg sold for €172/head or €2.98/kg;
- Seven at 51kg sold for €165/head or €3.24/kg;
- 10 at 49kg sold for €159/head or €3.24/kg;
- 10 at 48kg sold for €157/head or €3.27/kg;
- 10 at 46kg sold for €148/head or €3.22/kg.
Lastly, cull ewes were met with fine demand once again and sold from a base of €100 and made up to €282.