Cattle marts: Weanling bulls in demand from farmers and exporters
Quality continental cattle continued to remain in demand in a number of marts around the country in recent days.
Noticeable demand was witnessed for weanling bulls weighing 350-400kg. These lots were particularly sought after by both farmers and exporters at the ringside.
A good yard of cattle attracted plenty of buyers at Thursday’s sale in Kilkenny Mart, Cillin Hill. Even though some ringside regulars were away on holiday, the mart’s auctioneer George Candler reported.
Some 800 cattle passed through the ring in Cillin Hill. There was a keen demand in particular for quality continental cattle.
Steers weighing 500-600kg sold for €1.85-2.50/kg or €450-850 over the weight. Heavier lots (600kg+) traded at €1.95-2.65/kg. A 920kg Hereford steer sold for €1,880 at the Co. Kilkenny venue. Stores peaked at €3.00/kg on the day.
Quality Friesian steers made over €2.15/kg, while the majority of the Friesian lots sold for €1.80-2.05/kg.
- One Limousin steer: 630kg – €1,650 or €2.62/kg;
- Two Friesian steers: 565kg – €1,170 or €2.07/kg;
- Two Charolais steers: 525kg – €1,250 or €2.38/kg;
- Six Limousin steers: 465kg – €1,260 or €2.71/kg;
- Two Aberdeen Angus steers: 420kg – €1,115 or €2.65/kg;
- Three Limousin steers: 385kg – €1,040 or €2.70/kg;
- One Limousin steer: 305kg – €920 or €3.02/kg.
Looking at heifer prices, beef heifers sold for €2.00-2.60/kg – peaking at €1,740/head. Forward stores traded at €570-900 over, while lighter lots (<400kg) made €2.00-2.70/kg or €350-650 with the weight.
- One Limousin heifer: 740kg – €1,740 or €2.35/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 580kg – €1,410 or €2.43/kg;
- Two Aberdeen Angus heifers: 505kg – €1,050 or €2.08/kg;
- Five Hereford heifers: 475kg – €1,000 or €2.11/kg;
- Three Limousin heifers: 390kg – €940 or €2.41/kg;
- Three Aberdeen Angus heifers: 305kg – €675 or €2.21/kg.
A number of cull cows were also on offer on the day. Continental cull cows made €1.40-2.25/kg, while Friesians traded at €1.05-1.75/kg.
There was an excellent trade for all types of cattle at last Thursday’s sale in Raphoe Mart, Co. Donegal. Farmers, butchers, shippers and factory agents were all very active at the ringside.
Top class bulls (600kg+) made €600-850 with the weight – down on the prices seen the previous week.
Steers were a similar trade and lots sold for €2.20-2.80/kg. Heifer prices were up slightly, achieving €2.20-3.10/kg or €500-875 with the weight.
Store cattle traded at €350-795 with the weight. A number of dry cows were also on offer and these lots sold for €600-1,950/head.
There was a strong demand for stock at Ennis Mart last Tuesday, according to the mart’s Danny Moran.
Quality weanling bulls, weighing 350-400kg, were particularly sought after as farmers and exporters were present at the ringside. It was a similar story in the heifer ring, Moran said.
A larger entry of calves to the previous week met a very strong trade. Continentals achieved prices up to €495/head.
Cows with calves at foot sold for €1,110-1,740/head at the Co. Clare venue.
- Two Charolais bulls: 275kg – €890 or €3.24/kg;
- One Limousin bull: 295kg – €975 or €3.30/kg;
- One Limousin bull: 350kg – €1,060 or €3.03/kg;
- One Charolais bull: 405kg – €1,095 or €2.70/kg.
- One Charolais heifer: 260kg – €790 or €3.04/kg;
- One Charolais heifer: 320kg – €1,030 or €3.22/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 400kg – €1,030 or €2.58/kg;
- One Charolais heifer: 415kg – €1,160 or €2.80/kg.
There was some 450 cattle on offer at last Thursday’s sale in Castlerea Mart, Co. Roscommon.
A strong trade remained and similar prices to last week’s sale were achieved, according to the mart’s Brendan Egan.
- One Limousin steer: 710kg – €1,725 or €2.43/kg;
- One Charolais steer: 685kg – €1,640 or €2.39/kg;
- One Aberdeen Angus steer: 535kg – €1,345 or €2.51/kg;
- One Charolais steer: 450kg – €1,235 or €2.74/kg;
- One Charolais steer: 415kg – €1,225 or €2.95/kg.
- One Aberdeen Angus heifer: 670kg – €1,545 or €2.30/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 540kg – €1,340 or €2.48/kg;
- One Charolais heifer: 460kg – €1,200 or €2.61/kg;
- One Charolais heifer: 420kg – €1,140 or €2.71/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 393kg – €1,080 or €2.75/kg.
Dry cows traded at €1,350-1,645/head, while springers made €1,200-1,250/head on the day. In addition, cows with calves at foot sold for €1,100-1,650/head at the Co. Roscommon venue.
Thursday’s sale also featured a number of calves. Limousin bull calves traded at €365-405/head, while an Aberdeen Angus heifer calf and a Hereford bull calf made €340 and €290 respectively.
- One Charolais bull: 440kg – €1,140 or €2.59/kg;
- One Limousin bull: 420kg – €1,100 or €2.62/kg;
- One Limousin bull: 260kg – €725 or €2.79/kg;
- One Aberdeen Angus bull: 240kg – €685 or €2.85/kg.
- One Charolais heifer: 390kg – €1,180 or €3.02/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 370kg – €1,045 or €2.82/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 320kg – €940 or €2.94/kg;
- One Limousin heifer: 230kg – €705 or €3.06/kg.