Castlerea Mart held its weekly cattle sale on Thursday last (August 27). Brendan Egan, the mart’s manager, said that a large number of stock was presented for sale.
He highlighted that the trade has held up well despite the challenging conditions under foot.
“The bullocks were a very lively trade with strong farmer activity and northern demand also; lighter quality stores – in particular – were met with some fancy prices,” he said.
Heifers and dry cows were reported to sell well, with a good clearance rate achieved. Additionally, he noted that the weanling rings witnessed larger numbers.
“Weanling bulls topped out at €3.46/kg and weanling heifers reached a peak of €3.59/kg, with strong export demand visible.
- Charolais: 495kg – €1,270 or €2.56/kg;
- Limousin: 480kg – €1,200 or €2.50/kg;
- Limousin: 410kg – €1,180 or €2.87/kg;
- Limousin: 560kg – €1,430 or €2.55/kg;
- Charolais: 640kg – €1,390 or €2.17/kg;
- Limousin: 665kg – €1,370 or €2.06/kg.
“Also, increased numbers of runners met a flier of a trade with farmers anxious to replace sold lots,” he added.
- Charolais: 425kg – €1,080 or €2.54/kg;
- Limousin: 385kg – €1,060 or €2.75/kg;
- Limousin: 445kg – €1,080 or €2.42/kg;
- Charolais: 485kg – €1,140 or €2.35/kg;
- Charolais: 575kg – €1,370 or €2.38/kg;
- Limousin: 505kg – €1,280 or €2.53/kg.
Furthermore, cows with calves at foot made €1,160-1,720/unit, with springers selling up to €1,400/head.
- Limousin: 875kg – €1,790 or €2.04/kg;
- Charolais: 865kg – €1,740 or €2.01/kg;
- Charolais: 735kg – €1,460 or €1.98/kg;
- Limousin: 780kg – €1,600 or €2.05/kg.
As mentioned above, an increased number of runners were on offer on Thursday, Aberdeen Angus and Hereford types making €350-570/head, while continental lots hit €910/head; this was paid for a three-month-old Charolais runner, Brendan said.
- Charolais: 295kg – €830 or €2.81/kg;
- Charolais: 230kg – €780 or €3.39/kg;
- Limousin: 250kg – €740 or €2.96/kg;
- Charolais: 300kg – €1,040 or €3.46/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 220kg – €650 or €2.95/kg.
Sample weanling heifer prices:
- Charolais: 275kg – €740 or €2.69/kg;
- Charolais: 340kg – €1,100 or €3.23/kg;
- Limousin: 355kg – €1,060 or €2.98/kg;
- Charolais: 310kg – €1,030 or €3.32/kg;
- Limousin: 295kg – €1,060 or €3.59/kg.