Trade for all lots slightly easier at Kilkenny Mart – George Candler
Compared to the previous week’s sale, more cattle had been marketed at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday last (August 27), according to the mart’s auctioneer George Candler.
Some 900 lots passed through the sale rings at Cillín Hill on Thursday, with George noting that the wet weather conditions – and dip in factory prices – taking a toll on ringside prices.
Saying that, he highlighted that quality cattle still sold well at the venue.
“Some cattle are showing the effects of the weather, while poor ground conditions are not helping the trade,” he said.
On the day, the heavier heifer lots made €1.70-2.55/kg or €1,050-1,300/head; €1.60-2.55/kg or €780-1,180/head was paid for the forward store lots; and the lighter store classes (<400kg) made €1.80-2.50/kg or €400-955/head.
- Charolais: 625kg – €1,160 or €1.86/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 515kg – €1,300 or €2.52/kg;
- Charolais: 495kg – €1,180 or €2.38/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 490kg – €930 or €1.90/kg;
- Limousin: 420kg – €950 or €2.26/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 370kg – €780 or €2.11/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 345kg – €650 or €1.88/kg;
- Limousin: 380kg – €955 or €2.51/kg.
In the steer ring, lots weighing 600kg or over sold at €1.60-2.30/kg or €1,100-1,710/head, while bullocks weighing 500-600kg made €1.50-2.50/kg or €800-1,310/head.
In the 400-500kg bracket, steers made €1.50-2.65/kg or €630-1,300/head and the lighter lots – weighing 400kg or less – sold at €1.50-2.70/kg or €470-980/head.
- Charolais: 755kg – €1,710 or €2.26/kg;
- Friesian: 685kg – €1,250 or €1.82/kg;
- Charolais: 680kg – €1,500 or €2.21/kg;
- Limousin: 525kg – €1,310 or €2.50/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 580kg – €1,130 or €1.95/kg;
- Limousin: 470kg – €1,130 or €2.40/kg;
- Charolais: 495kg – €1,300 or €2.63/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 385kg – €815 or €2.12/kg;
- Friesian: 355kg – €650 or €1.83/kg;
- Hereford: 295kg – €650 or €2.20/kg.
Also at the Kilkenny-based venue, in the cow ring, Friesian cull cows traded for €0.85-1.70/kg, while continental types sold for €1.20-2.01/kg.