A small but very good sale of sheep was seen at Enniscorthy Mart on Wednesday last (February 24).
The mart’s assistant manager, Kevin Murphy said that the trade for finished hoggets is rising week-on-week.
Speaking to AgriLand, he explained: “We had a very good trade again this week. The trade is rising week on week for the finished hoggets.
It was a smaller sale than last week with heavy hoggets making up the largest proportion of the sale.
“They are in huge demand from wholesale butchers and local butchers as well as factory agents. The factory-finished hoggets were less plentiful on the day, and they too are in very strong demand to fill orders.”
Looking at the trade, butcher hogget prices ranged from €150/head for 20 weighing 51kg up to the highest price of the day €156/head for 28 weighing 55kg.
Factory hoggets made from €140/head for five weighing 46kg up to €148/head for eight weighing 50kg.
Factory agents are very keen for all types of finished hoggets as supply seems to be very scarce and orders have to be filled, Kevin added.
Sample finished hogget prices:
- 28 at 55kg sold for €156/head or €2.83/kg;
- 20 at 56kg sold for €153/head or €2.73/kg;
- 34 at 55kg sold for €153/head or €2.78/kg;
- 19 at 56kg sold for €151/head or €2.69/kg;
- 27 at 51kg sold for €150/head or €2.94/kg;
- Eight at 50kg sold for €148/head or €2.96/kg;
- Four at 50kg sold for €148/head or €2.96/kg;
- 18 at 48kg sold for €146/head or €3.04/kg;
- 13 at 47kg sold for €145/head or €3.08/kg.
Kevin said that store hoggets seem to be drying up as well they are seeing that lift in price as well. Prices for these types ranged from €123/head for six weighing 37kg up to €137/head for 14 weighing 43kg.
Sample store hogget prices:
- 14 at 43kg sold for €137/head or €3.18/kg;
- 16 at 39kg sold for €135/head or €3.46/kg;
- 16 at 44kg sold for €134/head or €3.04/kg;
- Six at 40kg sold for €127/head or €3.17/kg;
- Six at 37kg sold for €123/head or €3.32/kg.
Kevin said that cast ewes remain a very lively trade for both heavy and light ewes. Heavy ewes sold up to a high of €143/head, with many of those fleshed selling for upwards of €120/head.