Pics from the mart: Ewe lambs and factory lambs in high demand at Tuam
Tuam Mart held its weekly sheep sale on Tuesday last (September 8), which saw the sale of lambs, cast ewes and breeding hoggets.
Both yards were packed with sheep. Lambs and cast ewes were sold in the sheep yard, while breeding sheep were sold in the cattle yard.Also Read: Sheep marts: Boost in factory lamb prices
There was an abundance of buyers on the day and this led to a very lively trade, with ewe lambs, butcher/factory lambs and hoggets in high demand.
Starting with butcher lambs, prices for these lots regularly hit past the €110/head mark and prices of up to €116/head were achieved.
Sample butcher lamb prices:
- 12 lambs weighing 50kg sold for €116/head;
- Six lambs weighing 52.5kg sold for €114/head;
- Two lambs weighing 51kg sold for €111/head.
Factory lambs were also in high demand. Prices between €98/head and €113/head were roughly exchanged for factory-fit lambs.
Sample factory-fit lamb prices:
- 20 lambs weighing 46.5kg sold for €113/head;
- 22 lambs weighing 46.5kg sold for €108/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 47.5kg sold for €107/head.
Ewe lambs were the standout trade on the night, particularly lambs weighing in excess of 50kg, which sold up to €157/head.
In general, ewe lambs made from €90/head up to €150/head, with some lots, as mentioned above, breaking past the €150/head mark and topping out at €157/head.
Sample ewe lamb prices:
- 12 lambs weighing 43.5kg sold for €100/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 51.5kg sold for €150/head;
- Eight lambs weighing 48.8kg sold for €130/head;
- 12 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €138/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 35kg sold for €113/head.
Store lambs were also a good trade on the night, with little to no lots going unsold.
In general, prices for store lambs ranged from €70/head up to €92/head for more forward-type stores, with some lost exceeding this price range and making north of €95/head.
Sample store lamb prices:
- 12 lambs weighing 41.5kg sold for €90/head;
- Two ram lambs weighing 33kg sold for €77/head;
- Three lambs weighing 32.5kg sold for €80/head;
- 10 wether lambs weighing 39.5kg sold for €92/head;
- 17 lambs weighing 33.5kg sold for €78/head.
Finally, in term of hoggets, prices for these lots ranged from €170/head up to €200/head mainly, with a couple of exceptional lots of hoggets making upwards of €200/head and topping out at €232/head.
Auctioneer Pat Burke said that good-quality hoggets have been an “easy sell” over the last few weeks and that was the same story on Tuesday evening.
He said: “Farmers are keen to get a hold of top-quality stock and that is being reflected in the prices being paid out. Very few hoggets sold for less than €160/head on Tuesday evening.
“Nice-quality hoggets made, and have been making, over the last few weeks, from €170/head up to €200/head.”