On the spot advice for forest owners from Teagasc at Timber2015
Teagasc will have on the spot advice for forestry owners at Timber2015, on May 9 and 10 in Stradbally Co. Laois.
Teagasc says it will have its own marquee and demonstration area highlighting its extensive advisory, research and training services.
Forestry advisers, researchers, educators and specialists will be available over the two days to answer your questions on how best to incorporate a forest into your farm, it says.
This year Teagasc says it will be focusing on the New Forestry Programme with details on each element. It says that the new programme provides great opportunities for enhancing family farm income.
Advice will be available for those considering forestry and those at the thinning stage Teagasc says.
Nuala Ni Fhlatharta, Head of the Forestry Development Department with Teagasc says that Teagasc urges anyone with an interest in developing a forest enterprise to consider forestry under this new attractive Forestry Programme.
“One of the key differences in the new programme is that a single premium rate has been introduced. This means that no distinction is being made between farmers and non-farmers. The new forestry premiums will also now be paid for a period of 15 years instead of 20.
“A new forest road construction scheme is also available with improved grant rates. This is important news for forest owners who are now preparing for their first thinning operation,” she said.
Steven Meyen, Forestry Adviser with Teagasc said that to assist in providing a better understanding of the new Forestry Programme, Teagasc has produced six new publications describing different elements of the new Forestry Programme.
The publications are in association with the Forest Service and the Department of Agriculture.
The three new titles in Teagasc’s Farm Forestry Series are:
- Establishing a Farm Forest – How do I get the work done? This 12 page leaflet outlines the options available to budding forest owners how to make a grant application.
- Afforestation Grant & Premium Scheme 2014-2020 – A Guide to Grant and Premium Categories. This 12 page leaflet explains briefly the various Grant and Premium Categories and what they entail.
- Timber Measurement in Conifer Forests – Preparing for the first thinning. This eight page leaflet is a practical guide for those forest owners preparing for first thinning who wish to know the volume of timber they are offering for sale.
Teagasc, with the Forest Service and the Department, have also released three flyers highlighting different measures of the new Forestry Programme are:
- Forest Roads Scheme 2014-2020.
- Thinning and Tending of Broadleaves (Woodland Improvement Scheme) 2014-2020.
- Reconstitution Scheme (Chalara Ash Dieback) 2014-2020.
Teagasc encourages anyone considering establishing a forest, or who has a forest, to call in to the Teagasc marquee at Timber2015 for independent forestry advice, the latest forestry research, as well as a range of forestry education options.