A new bonus payment for Charolais cull cows and heifers has just been launched by the the Irish Charolais Cattle Society and Slaney Foods.
According to Neven McKiernan of the Irish Charolais Cattle Society there has already been strong interest in the sSheme from farmers with almost 30 Charolais cull cows booked in its first two weeks.
“The scheme is ideal for farmers looking to get rid of their poorer quality cows. It also provides an outlet for older heifers which may not have gone incalf,” McKiernan said.
The bonus payment is eligible on both pedigree Charolais cows and crossbred cows with CH or CHX on their passport with a bonus payment of 10c/kg and 5c/kg respectively.
Pedigree Charolais heifers with a copy of their pedigree cert under the age of 36 months are eligible for the 12c/kg bonus and will be subject to the national quality assurance grid and the weekly base price.
Bonus Payment for Charolais Cull Cows and Heifers
- All cows must be Quality Assured to receive the bonus
- Applicable to cows for fat scores of 2, 3 & 4 in excess of 270kg deadweight
- The grades of O & P in conformation or 1 & 5 in fat are not eligible for the bonus.
- Pedigree Charolais heifers with a copy of their pedigree cert under the age of 36 months are
eligible for the 12c/kg bonus and are subject to the national quality assurance grid and the
weekly base price.
- All heifers must be Quality Assured to receive the bonus
- No weight limit applies.
For further information contact Nevan McKiernan on 087 413 7101