Macra gears up for two-runner Presidential race
Macra na Feirme, the organisation representing young farmers, is gearing up for a two-runner presidential race.
This comes as candidates, James Healy and Odile Evans, have submitted their candidacy papers to take Macra na Feirme’s top job.
Every two years, Macra clubs elect a new National President to represent young farmers and the rural youth. The nomination process for both positions has now closed.
In addition to the Presidential election, the election of three Vice Presidents will also take place, with the following being announced as candidates:
Leinster Vice Presidential Candidate
- Cara O’Mahony, Mountain View, Naas, Co. Kildare.
Munster Vice Presidential Candidate
- Tom O’Donoghue, Crowhill Upper, Cappoquin, Co. Waterford.
North West Vice Presidential Candidates
- Sharon Corcoran, Rathkelly Close, Ballinrobe, Co.Mayo.
- Brendan Curran, Gorvagh, Mohill, Co. Leitrim.
Presidential hopefuls go head-to-head
Both Healy and Evans will go head-to-head in a series of hustings, with six such events set to take place from March 7 onwards.
There will be two hustings per region, with topics such as the future of CAP, Brexit and land mobility likely to take centre stage at these events.
When and where?
There will be two hustings per region, with all of the events scheduled to kick off at 8pm sharp.
- Tuesday, March 7: Bush Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim.
- Thursday, March 9: Vienna Woods Hotel, Glanmire, Co. Cork.
- Monday, March 13: Springhill Hotel, Kilkenny City.
- Wednesday, March 15: McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris, Co. Mayo.
- Tuesday, March 21: Kilmurray Lodge, Co. Limerick.
- Thursday, March 23: Newgrange Hotel, Navan, Co. Meath.
Macra na Feirme President Sean Finan said, “I would like to wish all the candidates the very best of luck over the coming weeks, as they embark on the campaign trail.”