Martin McNamara of Ennis Mart reported another very strong sale of sheep at Monday’s sale (March 8).
Similar to the previous week, around 300 sheep were on offer, with a stronger entry of cull ewes on offer in comparison to the previous week.
Martin said that the trade continues to go from strength-to-strength, especially for the good-quality hoggets. Similar to last week’s sale, hoggets breached the €3.00/kg mark on numerous occasions.
The top price for those finished hoggets was €168/head (or €3.05/kg) for a pen of quality hoggets weighing 55kg. That top price was closely followed by another pen of 52.5kg hoggets that sold for €167/head.
Many of those really good-quality 50kg plus hoggets sold over €160/head. There were very store-type hoggets on offer on Monday.
Lastly, a “cracking trade” was seen for cull ewes, with heavy culls making up to €137/head, while stores sold back to €75/head.
Sample hogget prices:
- 10 at 55kg sold for €168/head or €3.05/kg;
- 10 at 52.5kg sold for €167/head or €3.18/kg;
- 12 at 50.5kg sold for €166/head or €3.28/kg;
- 11 at 48.5kg sold for €154/head or €3.17/kg;
- 12 at 54.5kg sold for €165/head or €3.03/kg;
- Eight at 49kg sold for €160/head or €3.26/kg;
- 11 at 47.5kg sold for €157/head or €3.30/kg;
- 15 at 45.5kg sold for €155/head or €3.41/kg.