Cull cows sell up to €2.24/kg at Ennis Mart
There was a good demand for cull cows at Ennis Mart last week, as up to €2.24/kg was achieved according to reports. The Clare-based mart held its weekly cattle sale last Thursday (January 14), with customers having plenty to choose from.
In terms of numbers, there were over 364 head of cattle on offer which included 120 head of cull cows.
Speaking on the sale held in the Clare-based mart, a spokesperson stated:
“The trade was strong all round. In the cow ring, there was a number of beef type and these met a serious demand – with many lots exceeding €2.00/kg.
“There were just a few aged bulls on offer and these averaged €1.75/kg.”
Sample cull cow prices:
- Simmental: 915kg – €1,810 or €1.98/kg;
- Limousin: 670kg – €1,350 or €2.04/kg;
- Charolais: 830kg – €1,720 or €2.07/kg;
- Friesian: 640kg – €1,230 or €1.92/kg;
- Limousin: 800kg – €1,670 or €2.09/kg;
- Angus: 680kg – €1,190 or €1.75/kg;
- Limousin: 780kg – €1,650 or €2.11/kg;
- Charolais: 675kg – €1,440 or €2.13/kg;
- Limousin: 730kg – €1,640 or €2.24/kg;
- Friesian: 545kg – €880 or €1.61/kg.
The continental bullocks sold up to highs of €2.54/kg, with the spokesperson adding that last week, “bullocks met a fine trade”.
Sample bullock prices:
- Limousin: 765kg – €1,700 or €2.22/kg;
- Angus: 660kg – €1,420 or €2.15/kg;
- Limousin: 650kg – €1,540 or €2.37/kg;
- Charolais: 595kg – €1,470 or €2.47/kg;
- Charolais: 576kg – €1,360 or €2.36/kg;
- Charolais: 575kg – €1,460 or €2.54/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,170 or €2.54/kg;
- Hereford: 493kg – €1,090 or €2.21/kg.
Sample heifer prices:
- Hereford: 580kg – €1,190 or €2.05/kg;
- Charolais: 550kg – €1,230 or €2.24/kg;
- Angus: 545kg – €1,190 or €2.18/kg;
- Hereford: 535kg – €1,060 or €1.98/kg;
- Limousin: 490kg – €1,230 or €2.51/kg;
- Hereford: 490kg – €950 or €1.94/kg;
- Limousin: 417kg – €1,110 or €2.66/kg;
- Charolais: 415kg – €1,070 or €2.43/kg.