Butcher lambs ‘a shade easier’ but still a very strong trade at Ennis Mart
Butcher lambs were ‘a shade easier’ but still in strong demand at Ennis Mart on Monday (November 16), according to a spokesperson for the mart.
Numbers were also back on last week, with 400 head of sheep presented for sale at the Clare-based livestock mart.
A 100% clearance rate was achieved on the day, with the trade for lighter lambs and factory-type lambs strong.Also Read: 'Sharp, short sale' sees lamb reach €128/head at Kilkenny Mart
As mentioned already, butcher lambs were back a bit but, in the grand scheme of things, the trade was still very strong for those types.
A spokesperson for the mart noted that butcher lambs were easier by €2/head on the previous week but still made up to a tops of €130/head for a pen of 10 lambs weighing 52kg.
Sample butcher and factory-fit lamb prices:
- 10 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €130/head or €2.50/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 53kg sold for €128/head or €2.41/kg;
- Five lambs weighing 49.5kg sold for €127/head or €2.56/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 48kg sold for €123/head or €2.56/kg;
- Nine lambs weighing 45kg sold for €112/head or €2.49/kg;
- 12 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €114/head or €2.48/kg.
The mart’s spokesperson added that there was a strong cull ewe trade, with heavy ewes making up to €121/head. Overall, prices for feeding and well-fleshed ewes ranged from €68/head up to €121/head.
Cattle sale on Tuesday
500 head of cattle were brought forward for sale at Ennis Mart on Tuesday (November 17). A 96% clearance rate was reported, with suckler stock met with the best trade.
Runner heifers made to €770 and bulls sold to €870. Calves were met with a good trade and made up to €440.
The spokesperson for the mart added that the quality of bulls and heifers being offered is getting more variable and that there is some shipping activity in the bulls. They also noted that the heifer weanling trade was very strong.
Sample weanling bull prices:
- Limousin: 305kg – €870 or €2.85/kg;
- Charolais: 370kg – €960 or €2.59/kg;
- Limousin: 290kg – €830 or €2.86/kg;
- Charolais: 400kg – €1,060 or €2.65/kg;
- Charolais: 275kg – €860 or €3.13/kg;
- Charolais: 240kg – €770 or €3.21/kg;
- Limousin: 365kg – €920 or €2.52/kg.
Sample weanling heifer prices:
- Limousin: 435kg – €1,190 or €2.73/kg;
- Limousin: 320kg – €990 or €3.09/kg;
- Charolais: 305kg – €950 or €3.11/kg;
- Limousin: 460kg – €1,150 or €2.50/kg;
- Limousin: 310kg – €880 or €2.84/kg;
- Charolais: 280kg – €860 or €3.07/kg.