Trade ‘on fire’ at Enniscorthy Mart’s first sheep sale of the new year
A small sale of sheep was reported at Enniscorthy Mart’s first sale of the new year on Wednesday, January 6.
Despite the small sale, the assistant mart manager, Kevin Murphy, described the trade as being on fire, with all types of sheep in huge demand – due to scarce supplies which resulted in price rises across the board.
Kevin added that competition between factory agents was very strong in an attempt to secure a constant supply. Furthermore, even though the store lamb price continues to rise there were plenty of buyers to buy store lambs and store ewes.
Looking at the trade, butcher lambs sold from €140/head for 16 lambs weighing 52kg up to €144/head for 21 lambs weighing 56kg.
Sample butcher lamb prices:
- 21 lambs weighing 56kg sold for €144/head or €2.57/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 52kg sold for €143/head or €2.75/kg;
- 19 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €143/head or €2.75/kg;
- Two lambs weighing 60kg sold for €142/head or €2.36/kg;
- 16 lambs weighing 51kg sold for €141/head or €2.76/kg;
- Two lambs weighing 52kg sold for €140/head or €2.69/kg.
Kevin said that factory lamb prices are rising each week and on Wednesday these types made anywhere from €124/head for 11 lambs weighing 45kg up to the strongest price of the day of €142/head for 24 lambs weighing 48kg.
Sample factory lamb prices:
- 24 lambs weighing 48kg sold for €142/head or €2.95/kg;
- Six lambs weighing 47kg sold for €130/head or €2.76/kg;
- Six lambs weighing 47kg sold for €128/head or €2.72/kg;
- 20 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €127/head or €2.76/kg;
- Five lambs weighing 46kg sold for €127/head or €2.76/kg;
- 17 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €125/head or €2.71/kg;
- 11 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €124/head or €2.75/kg.
Kevin said that store lambs were very scarce on the day but prices continue to rise with farmers buying in anticipation of stronger sheep prices in the spring.
Light store prices ranged from €91/head for three lambs weighing 33kg up to €115/head for 15 lambs weighing 37kg.
Forward stores were more plentiful than their lighter counterparts and ranged from €115/head for two lambs weighing 40kg up to €123/head for seven lambs weighing 42kg.
Sample store lamb prices:
- 15 lambs weighing 37kg sold for €115/head or €3.11/kg;
- 16 lambs weighing 37kg sold for €112/head or €3.02/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 37kg sold for €110/head or €2.97/kg;
- Two lambs weighing 35kg sold for €99/head or €2.82/kg;
- Three lambs weighing 33kg sold for €91/head or €2.75/kg;
- Seven lambs weighing 42kg sold for €123/head or €2.92/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 42kg sold for €122/head or €2.90/kg;
- 21 lambs weighing 40kg sold for €121/head or €3.02/kg;
- 20 lambs weighing 42kg sold for €121/head or €2.88/kg;
- Five lambs weighing 40kg sold for €119/head or €2.98/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 42kg sold for €117/head or €2.78/kg.
Lastly, Kevin said that cast ewes were very scarce on the day. Heavy cull ewes made up to a tops of €132/head.