The latest Milk Price Tracker – brought to you by Agriland and the Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers’ Association (ICMSA) – details milk prices from the most significant Irish dairy co-ops for the month of November.
For each co-op, a green arrow indicates an increase in base milk price (compared with the previous month); a blank space signifies no change; and a red arrow indicates a drop in base milk price.
It is important to note that the cent-per-litre (c/L) milk prices – shown in the table below – are calculated using the widely-accepted milk pricing system (an approach employed by most Irish co-ops).
It should also be noted that, when calculating the base prices (on a c/L basis), we have used a fixed mass density factor to convert from kilograms (kg) to litres (L).
The conversion factor used is 1.03; in other words, 1L of milk corresponds to 1.03kg of milk.
The Irish c/L milk prices – quoted in the table – are base prices at the ‘standard’ fat and protein percentages cited by the vast majority of co-ops (3.3% protein and 3.6% fat).
We also include base prices at ‘standard’ European criteria (3.4% protein and 4.2% fat).
Furthermore, there is a column detailing what we describe as the ‘maximum attainable price’ – which is based on consistent levels of 3.3% protein and 3.6% fat.
November 2021 prices
The milk prices in this table (below) are those quoted by co-ops for the month of November (2021).
All bonus and penalty payments are based on manufacturing milk. The VAT rate changed from 5.4% to 5.6% as per Budget 2021.
November’s bonuses and penalties
Further details of bonuses and penalties for the November Milk Price Tracker can be found by clicking here.
WITH REGARD TO MILK PRICE TRACKER (ABOVE), PLEASE SEE THESE EXPLANATORY NOTES:
- All bonus and penalty payments are based on manufacturing milk;
- Arrabawn pays a 0.2c/L (excl VAT) bonus on all milk with a somatic cell count (SCC) less than 200,000cells/ml;
- Aurivo has a milk storage bonus which is available to suppliers with a minimum annual supply of 160,000L that have enough refrigerated storage capacity to cover seven milkings at peak production. The storage bonus of 0.44cpl is now taken from the ‘C’ from September 2021. The new ‘C’ is 3.813;
- Aurivo also has a 0.22c/L (excl VAT) protein bonus available for every 0.05% protein achieved, above the co-op average protein percentage, in an individual month;
- Carbery Group pays a bonus of 0.5c/L (excl VAT) from March to October and a 0.88c/L (excl VAT) bonus from November to February to suppliers who achieve a SCC of less than 200,000cells/ml;
- Dairygold applies no penalties to total bacteria counts (TBCs) of less than 75,001 cells/ml in the months of January, February, November, and December. Penalties will apply to TBCs more than 75,000 cell/ml in those months;
- Dairygold has a 0.25c/L included and 0.1c/L for the Sustainable Dairy Assurance Scheme (SDAS), 0.1c/L for sign up to milk recording (four per year) and 0.05c/L for sign up to milk recording and a Munster Bovine herd health scheme;
- Dairygold also has a 0.04c/L maximum bonus attainable by farmers who achieve the minimum requirements for six criteria (TBC, thermoduric, sediment, SCC, lactose and inhibitors); This cumulatively amounts to 0.65c/l (excl VAT);
- Glanbia include 0.4c/L (excl VAT) payment on all milk supplied as a ‘Share of GI Profit’;
- Kerry pays 0.4c/L (excl VAT) bonus on all milk with a SCC less than 200,000 cells/ml and 0.1c/l (ex VAT) for SDAS;
- Lakelands pays a 2.84c/L (excl VAT) bonus if more than 50% of May milk production was supplied in November;
- North Cork pays a 0.1cpl (excl VAT) bonus on all milk with a SCC of less than 200,000 cells/ml;
- North Cork also pays a 1c/L (excl VAT) bonus on all milk incl. Fixed Price Contracts for November;
- Strathroy pays a 0.25c/L (excl VAT) bonus on all milk with a SCC of less than 200,000 cells/ml;
- Strathroy also pays a 0.25c/L (excl VAT) bonus on all milk with a TBC of less than 10,000 cells/ml;
- Tipperary pays a bonus of 0.25c/L (excl VAT) on all milk with a SCC less than 250,000 cells/ml;
- Tipperary pay a 3c/L (excl VAT) bonus if more than 30% of May milk production was supplied in November.