Irish genetics excelled at a recent sale of pedigree Limousin females held in Carlisle on Friday (January 29) from the Wilodge and Brockhurst herds.
This classy female can be claimed to have Irish heritage, as she was the result of an embryo sold by breeder William Smith from Oldcastle in Co. Meath.
The heifer’s mother, Millbrook Gingerspice, is a celebrity in her own right in the Limousin world as she was a multi-prize winning heifer during her showing days.
Her titles include being a three-time interbreed champion at Balmoral show, while also achieving the accolade of being breed champion twice at the Tullamore show.
Speaking about recent record-breaking sale, breeder William Smith stated:
Millbrook Gingerspice is the only animal, be it sheep or cattle, that has claimed three interbreed championships in a row at a royal show.
“It’s wonderful to see her progeny going on to do so well for other herds. She had another daughter sold for the top price of 25,000gns a few years ago at a Red Ladies sale.
“A son of hers also won reserve junior male champion at Carlisle and sold for 20,000gns. She is really stamping her mark as a tremendous breeding cow.”
Wilodge Poshspice was sired by Ampertaine Elgin, who was bred by James McKay from Northern Ireland. The successful bidders of this stylish heifer were Charlie Boden of the Sportsman herd and Messrs Jenkinson of the Whinfellpark herd.
Irish success continues
Not stopping there, Irish breeding was also found in other heifers sold from the Wilodge herd.
Descendants of Limousin sire Powerful Irish, who was bred by Philip Crowe from Co. Cavan sold for the second, third and fourth top-prices in Carlisle.
A two-year-old daughter of Irish, Wilodge Onhigh, sold for 25,000 gns. Meanwhile, two grand-daughters, Wilodge Opulent and Wilodge Poshgem sold for 20,000gns each.
Other leading prices at the Wilodge and Brockhurst sale:
- Lot Six: Wilodge Lida sired by Gerryguillinane Glen – 11,000gns;
- Lot 12: Wilodge Naughtynics sired by Fairywater Haig – 7,500gns;
- Lot 18: Wilodge Optimiss sired by Objat – 10,000gns;
- Lot 19: Wilodge Option sired by Ampertaine Elgin – 10,000gns;
- Lot 22: Wilodge Onica sired by Grahams Lorenzo – 7,500gns;
- Lot 32: Wilodge Princess sired by Grahams Lorenzo – 17,000gns;
- Lot 44: Wilodge Romance sired by Ironstone Brandy – 14,000gns;
- Lot 46: Brockhurst Princess sired by Newroddige Jetset – 11,000gns;
- Lot 51: Brockhurst Paige sired by Procters Mitsubishi – 10,000gns;
- Lot 52: Brockhurst Prudence sired by Procters Mitsubishi – 15,000gns.