Hereford and Angus-cross calves make up to €385/head at Enniscorthy Mart
Some 270 calves were on offer at Enniscorthy Mart on Wednesday, July 1, which was a substantial increase from the 150 calves that were entered the week before.
According to the assistant mart manager, Kevin Murphy, the trade was ‘very lively’ which was similar to the previous week.
He said: “There was a strong ‘export trade’ for plainer types of calves; however, the continental calves were in strong demand by local farmers.”
On the day, young, continental-type calves sold from €200/head up to €400/head, while reared continental calves made from €300/head up to €475/head.
Sample continental calf prices:
- One Limousin-cross bull calf born on May 18 sold for €400;
- One Simmental-cross heifer calf born on June 6 sold for €395;
- One Limousin-cross heifer calf born on June 7 sold for €200;
- Two Limousin-cross bull calves born on May 15 sold for €475/head.
There was a small selection of young Friesian calves. These lots, in general, made from €50/head up to €110/head. Reared Friesian calves sold from €125/head up to a top price of €285/head.
Sample Friesian calf prices:
- Seven Friesian bull calves born in early April sold for €200/head;
- Four Friesian bull calves born in early May sold for €125/head;
- One Friesian bull calf born on June 10 sold for €90.
Young Hereford and Angus-cross calves traded for between €150/head up to €285/head, while reared Hereford and Angus-cross calves made from €270/head up to €385/head.
Sample Angus and Hereford-cross calf prices:
- Two Hereford-cross heifer calves born in early June sold for €150/head;
- One Hereford-cross bull calf born in early June sold for €210;
- One Angus-cross bull calf born in early June sold for €285;
- Six Angus-cross Hereford heifers born mid-to-late April sold for €350/head;
- One Hereford-cross heifer calf born in late April sold for €270.