‘Flying trade’ for in-calf dairy cows at Mid-Tipp Mart
The first sale of 2021 at Mid-Tipp Mart in Thurles started off on a high note, according to the mart’s manager, Martin Ryan.
Speaking about a special clearance sale of dairy cows held last Saturday (January 9) Martin stated: “The sale got off to a flyer, with a serious interest in the younger calved cows and in-calf heifers.
It attracted buyers from all parts of the country, with many people opting to buy online without viewing them in the flesh.
The highest price reported was €2,020 for a 2016-born Friesian cow. The top 10 prices recorded ranged from €2,020/head back to €1,720/head. The sale achieved an average of €1,450 from a total of 80 cows on offer.
Sample dairy cow prices:
- Friesian: €2,000;
- Friesian: €1,900;
- Friesian: €1,960;
- Friesian: €1,700;
- Friesian: €1,620;
- Friesian: €1,540;
- Jersey: €1,480;
- Friesian: €1,400;
- Friesian: €1,370;
- Jersey: €1,280.
On Monday (January 11), the mart hosted its second sale of the new year, with the return of its weekly cattle sale. The sale consisted of bullocks, heifers and dry cows.
Speaking on the numbers entered and trade, Martin stated: “Numbers were back on this time last year but they were met with a strong trade.
“Due to Covid-19 restrictions, and to prevent gatherings, we opted to move our calf sale to a Wednesday.”
In the bullock ring, there were plenty of Hereford and Friesian store bullocks to choose from – with Friesian stores under 400kg selling from €1.68/kg up to €1.86/kg. Meanwhile, Hereford bullocks weighing 400-500kg were a strong trade, selling at €1.93-2.06/kg.
Sample store bullock prices (under 400kg):
- Angus: 275kg – €650 or €2.36/kg;
- Friesian: 291kg – €540 or €1.86/kg;
- Hereford: 327kg – €690 or €2.11/kg;
- Charolais: 355kg – €810 or €2.28/kg;
- Friesian: 370kg – €610 or €1.65/kg;
- Hereford: 430kg – €830 or €1.93/kg;
- Hereford: 436kg – €870 or €2.00/kg;
- Friesian: 461kg – €800 or €1.74/kg;
- Hereford: 462kg – €950 or €2.06/kg.
Sample bullock prices (over 500kg):
- Friesian: 510kg – €940 or €1.84/kg;
- Friesian: 533kg – €1,000 or €1.88/kg;
- Hereford: 535kg – €1,030 or €1.93/kg;
- Hereford: 555kg – €1,120 or €2.02/kg;
- Charolais: 571kg – €1,250 or €2.19/kg;
- Freisian: 575kg – €1,120 or €1.95/kg;
- Hereford: 575kg – €1,120 or €1.95/kg;
- Charolais: 580kg – €1,200 or €2.07/kg.
In the heifer trade, Angus females weighing under 300kg sold from €2.19/kg back to €2.07/kg. Stronger continental stores made from €2.05/kg up to €2.13/kg.
Sample heifer prices:
- Simmental: 316kg – €630 or €1.99/kg;
- Charolais: 440kg – €900 or €2.05/kg;
- Friesian: 472kg – €880 or €1.86/kg;
- Hereford: 522kg – €1,000 or €1.92/kg;
- Charolais: 585kg – €1,200 or €2.05/kg.
Friesian-bred cull cows were commanding a strong trade on Monday as they peaked at €1.75/kg.
Sample cull cow prices:
- Friesian: 545kg – €640 or €1.17/kg;
- Hereford: 555kg – €800 or €1.44/kg;
- Charolais: 590kg – €940 or €1.59/kg;
- Friesian: 635kg – €920 or €1.45/kg;
- Friesian: 683kg – €940 or €1.38/kg;
- Simmental: 775kg – €1,380 or €1.78kg;
- Angus: 865kg – €1,510 or €1.75/kg.