Dispersal sale of in-lamb ewes at Dowra sell up to €245/head
A dispersal sale of just under 90 in-lamb Suffolk and Texel-cross mule ewes took place on Friday last, February 5 at Dowra Mart.
A total of 86 ewes were presented for sale by Cian Devaney, with the top price of €245/head being achieved for a pen of five Texel-cross hoggets scanned carrying 10 lambs.
The in-lamb hoggets and two-year-old ewes sold strongest, with prices for these lots ranging from €218/head up to €245/head. While three and four-year-old ewes traded from €187/head up to €217/head.
All of the ewes were scanned in-lamb to Texel and Charolais rams and are due to lamb from March 5 onwards. The average scan across the flock of ewes was 210%.
The ewes were vaccinated for toxoplasmosis and enzootic abortion and dosed for fluke in January as well as being done with Heptavac P, according to Cian.
Speaking to AgriLand after the sale, Cian said: “I’m very happy with how I got on. There were some excellent prices got on the day.
“They were a genuine bunch of ewes; the only reason I sold them was due to a change in the farm system at home.”
- Five Texel mule hoggets carrying eight lambs sold for €233/head;
- Three Suffolk-cross hoggets carrying six lambs sold for €236/head;
- Five two and three-year-old ewes carrying 10 lambs sold for €222/head;
- Five three and four-year-old Suffolk mules carrying 10 lambs sold for €212/head;
- Six four-year-old Suffolks carrying 11 lambs sold for €196/head.
Click on a thumbnail in the gallery (below) to open up a full-size image; once opened you can scroll sideways to see the next picture. Refer to each caption to see details of each lot, including the hammer price.