Last week proved to be a good period for selling store cattle, as a strengthening demand from farmers was noted by mart managers. Many farmers were not afraid to contest it out to get their hands on suitable store bullock or heifer for grass.
The continental store bullocks (weighing 400-500kg) were reported to be selling from €2.20/kg up with some lots selling up to €2.55/kg in a number of marts. Last week, Padraig McElroy quoted these types of bullocks were fetching prices up to €2.60/kg.
In the store heifer trade, these females were averaging close to €2.25/kg in a number of marts – if they fell into the 400-500 weight bracket. Heifers weighing between 500-600kg, were selling up to €2.50/kg for continental breeds.
Heavy and forward type continental bullocks and heifers were still not as plentiful in a number of marts. Of the cattle that were sold, they ranged from €2.00/kg up to the €2.20/kg bracket in the majority of cases.
In the cull cow trade, there was an uplift in the prices reported by some managers last week, with more numbers of younger and heavier continental-bred cows capable of reaching above €1.95/kg. These prices eased back to €1.65/kg for the plainer and lighter types.
Friesian-bred cull cows were averaging at €1.40-1.50/kg last week.
Prices for quality weanling heifers were starting off at €2.55/kg and exceeding €3.00/kg.
Weanling bulls were selling at an average of €2.30-2.40/kg for the heavier lots over 450kg, while lighter bulls sold from were fit selling from €2.40/kg up to €2.90/kg and higher in some reports.
There was a big sale of cattle on Saturday (February 27) in Dowra Mart and prices – with all class of stock up for grabs.
Speaking to AgriLand about the trade in the Cavan-based mart, manager Terry McGovern stated there were more customers eager to get their hands on stock on Saturday.
Starting with the weanling trade, Terry explained:
The top of the lighter weanling heifers were selling from €2.60/kg up to €3.00/kg – there was a great demand overall for weanling heifers this week.
“The bull weanlings were a slightly different trade; they were just not as strong as the heifers. The 400kg bulls were selling from €2.50/kg up to a tops of €2.80-2.90/kg.
“Although, the lighter bulls were still a good trade – they were topped at €3.20/kg.”
Sample heifer weanlings (under 400kg):
- Charolais: 370kg – €1,070 or €2.89/kg;
- Charolais: 365kg – €1,020 or €2.79/kg;
- Charolais: 355kg – €1,000 or €2.81/kg;
- Limousin: 340kg – €980 or €2.88/kg;
- Charolais: 325kg – €980 or €3.01/kg;
- Charolais: 310kg – €950 or 3.06/kg;
- Charolais: 285kg – €880 or €3.08/kg;
- Charolais: 265kg – €850 or €3.20/kg;
Sample bull weanling prices (under 400kg):
- Charolais: 380kg – €1,120 or €2.94/kg;
- Limousin: 390kg – €1,100 or €2.82/kg;
- Limousin: 370kg – €1,010 or €2.72/kg;
- Charolais: 350kg – €1,000 or €2.85/kg;
- Charolais: 340kg – €990 or €2.91/kg;
- Charolais: 275kg – €880 or €3.20/kg;
- Limousin: 270kg – €800 or €2.96/kg;
- Charolais: 260kg – €790 or €3.03/kg.
Sample bull weanlings prices (400 – 500kg):
- Charolais: 415kg – €1,160 or €2.79/kg;
- Limousin: 480kg – €1,120 or €2.33/kg;
- Charolais: 470kg – €1,110 or €2.36/kg;
- Charolais: 430kg – €1,100 or €2.55/kg;
- Charolais: 470kg – €1,100 or €2.34/kg;
- Saler: 430kg – €1,100 or €2.55/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,090 or €2.36/kg;
- Charolais: 430kg – €1,080 or €2.51/kg.
Terry noted overall on Saturday the store trade was very strong, with mostly continentals on offer.
The store heifers were a very good trade this week – the run of the lighter store heifers was averaging €2.50/kg. The heavier store heifers were selling at €2.30-2.50/kg.
“We had plenty of customers looking for store bullocks this week, and they proved to be hard bought for a number buyers.”
Sample store heifers prices (400-500kg):
- Simmental: 490kg – €1,230 or €2.51/kg;
- Charolais: 485kg – €1,230 or €2.53/kg;
- Limousin: 470kg – €1,250 or €2.65/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,330 or €2.89/kg;
- Limousin: 460kg – €1,210 or €2.63/kg;
- Charolais: 450kg – €1,190 or €2.64/kg;
- Limousin: 430kg – €1,140 or €2.65/kg;
- Charolais: 420kg – €1,160 or €2.76/kg;
- Charolais: 410kg – €1,110 or €2.70/kg.
Sample store heifers prices (500-600kg):
- Charolais: 595kg – €1,490 or €2.50/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 590kg – €1,440 or €2.44/kg;
- Limousin: 585kg – €1,580 or €2.70/kg;
- Limousin: 580kg – €1,450 or €2.50/kg;
- Saler: 575kg – €1,710 or €2.97/kg;
- Limousin: 575kg – €1,430 or €2.48/kg;
- Limousin: 570kg – €1,430 or €2.50/kg;
- Charolais: 515kg – €1,400 or €2.71/kg;
- Limousin: 530kg – €1,380 or €2.60/kg.
Sample store heifers prices (over 600kg):
- Limousin: 765kg – €1,760 or €2.30/kg;
- Limousin: 635kg – €1,720 or €2.70/kg;
- Charolais: 700kg – €1,590 or €2.27/kg;
- Limousin: 650kg – €1,550 or €2.38/kg;
- Charolais: 635kg – €1,490 or €2.34/kg;
- Limousin: 625kg – €1,490 or €2.38/kg;
- Charolais: 610kg – €1,460 or €2.39/kg.
Sample store bullocks prices (under 500kg):
- Limousin: 495kg – €1,230 or €2.48/kg;
- Charolais: 480kg – €1,200 or €2.50/kg;
- Limousin: 470kg – €1,120 or €2.38/kg;
- Charolais: 430kg – €1,140 or €2.65/kg;
- Charolais: 420kg – €1,110 or €2.64/kg;
- Charolais: 400kg – €1,100 or €2.75/kg;
- Charolais: 390kg – €1,080 or €2.76/kg.
Sample bullocks prices (over 500kg):
- Charolais: 815kg – €1,770 or €2.17/kg;
- Charolais: 670kg – €1,680 or €2.50/kg;
- Charolais: 645kg – €1,460 or €2.26/kg;
- Charolais: 590kg – €1,440 or €2.44/kg;
- Charolais: 530kg – €1,360 or €2.56/kg;
- Limousin: 520kg – €1,330 or €2.55/kg;
- Charolais: 500kg – €1,310 or €2.62/kg.
Moving to the cow trade, Terry highlighted that the store trade was dearer than the previous week as he explained:
The top price on the day was €2.25/kg, in comparison to the previous week cows were dearer.
“The plainer cows started off at €1.50/kg and sold up to €2.20/kg – with plenty of customers seeking cows on Saturday,” he concluded.
Sample dry cows prices (under 700kg):
- Limousin: 685kg – €1,400 or €2.04/kg;
- Charolais: 635kg – €1,340 or €2.11/kg;
- Limousin: 665kg – €1,280 or €1.92/kg;
- Limousin: 580kg – €1,070 or €1.84/kg;
- Hereford: 560kg – €1,050 or €1.87/kg;
- Friesian: 515kg – €920 or €1.78/kg;
- Simmental: 505kg – €970 or €1.92/kg.
Sample dry cow prices (over 700kg):
- Charolais: 925kg – €1,800 or €1.94/kg;
- Charolais: 895kg – €1,960 or €2.18/kg;
- Limousin: 850kg – €1,920 or €2.25/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 800kg – €1,780 or €2.22/kg;
- Saler: 795kg – €1,540 or €1.93/kg;
- Angus: 770kg – €1,580 or €2.05/kg;
- Simmental: 775kg – €1,500 or €1.93/kg.