The improvement in factory price quotes for dry cows is really gaining an edge on prices paid at marts over the past week.
Mart managers are noting improved hunger and bite to the trade – with more factory agents competing with northern clients to nudge prices over the €2.00/kg mark.
Again, this is leaving farmers that have dry cows to sell, with the option to head for the mart ring – especially if they think their cows are in a store condition and need that extra bit of feeding.
This week, Agriland takes a look at recent sales held at Carnew and Dowra Marts.
Trade for dry cows at Carnew Mart
On Friday (April 16), 205 dry cows hit the rings at Carnew Mart, with the trade strengthening from the sale held the week before.
Commenting on the sale, manager, David Quinn, stated:
“Cows met a very strong demand with all types up €20-30/head on last week.”
Sample dry cow prices:
- Friesian: 480kg – €700 or €1.45/kg;
- Hereford: 624kg – €1,090 or €1.74/kg;
- Friesian: 656kg – €1,090 or €1.66/kg;
- Friesian: 696kg – €1,120 or €1.60/kg;
- Friesian: 760kg – €1,200 or €1.57/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 758kg – €1,660 or €2.18/kg;
- Charolais: 868kg – €1,850 or €2.13/kg;
- Hereford: 812kg – €1,520 or €1.87/kg;
- Charolais: 820kg – €1,730 or €2.10/kg;
- Limousin: 862kg – €1,800 or €2.08/kg.
On Saturday, there were 957 cattle, consisting of heifers, bullocks and bulls at Carnew Mart.
David stated: “Beef cattle were up €40-60/head on last week, with all factory agents, feedlots and northern buyers very active.”
Adding to his comments, David stated:
“A top price of €2,070 [€2.71/kg] was paid for a Charolais bullock 762kgs – while a 730kg continental-bred heifer sold to €1,920 [or €2.63/kg].”
Sample heifer prices:
- Limousin: 408kg – €940 or €2.30/kg;
- Hereford: 436kg – €870 or €1.99/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 484kg – €1,370 or €2.83/kg;
- Hereford: 493kg – €1,020 or €2.06/kg;
- Charolais: 495kg – €1,170 or €2.36/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 556kg – €1,510 or €2.71/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 638kg – €1,600 or €2.50/kg;
- Limousin: 648kg – €1,780 or €2.74/kg;
- Limousin: 726kg – €1,920 or €2.64/kg.
Sample bullock prices:
- Hereford: 280kg – €600 or €2.14/kg;
- Friesian: 360kg – €620 or €1.72/kg;
- Friesian: 365kg – €650 or €1.78/kg;
- Limousin: 454kg – €1,120 or €2.46/kg;
- Limousin: 540kg – €1,170 or €2.16/kg;
- Simmental: 557kg – €1,390 or €2.49/kg;
- Friesian: 575kg – €1,080 or €1.87/kg;
- Limousin: 626kg – €1,540 or €2.46/kg;
- Limousin: 706kg – €1,756 or €2.48/kg.
The number of cattle brought forward to Dowra Mart on Saturday (April 17) reached 890 head – with prices improving for the dry cow categories.
Speaking about the sale on Saturday, Terry McGovern, the mart’s manager highlighted:
“There was a super entry of heavy dry cows and these females met a very strong trade. The store dry cows were also very dear this week.”
From viewing some of the sample prices below, the €2.00/kg was passed on a number of occasions, as Terry rightly stated, for both the store and heavy dry cows.
Top dry cows prices:
- Angus: 520kg – €1030 or €1.98/kg;
- Limousin: 525kg – €1,180 or €2.24/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 565kg – €1,070 or €1.89/kg;
- Charolais: 670kg – €1,490 or €2.22/kg;
- Limousin: 680kg – €1,400 or €2.05/kg;
- Charolais: 695kg – €1,600 or €2.30/kg;
- Charolais: 815kg – €1,730 or €2.12/kg;
- Charolais: 815kg – €1,580 or €1.93/kg;
- Limousin: 860kg – €1,660 or €1.93/kg;
- Charolais: 945kg – €2,050 or €2.16/kg.
Turning to the weanling trade, Terry noted that some of the weanlings that were slow to catch the eye met a tougher trade. He said:
“The trade was very strong for the fancy lots of both bull and heifer weanlings – some of the plainer lots and the heavy bull weanlings proved harder sold.”
Top heifer weanling prices:
- Charolais: 220kg – €750 or €3.40/kg;
- Limousin: 235kg – €790 or €3.36/kg;
- Charolais: 275kg – €840 or €3.05/kg;
- Limousin: 295kg – €900 or €3.05/kg;
- Angus: 305kg – €1,020 or €3.34/kg;
- Charolais: 340kg – €1,000 or €2.94/kg;
- Charolais: 350kg – €1,030 or €2.94/kg;
- Charolais: 390kg – €1,080 or €2.76/kg;
- Charolais: 395kg – €1,100 or €2.78/kg.
Top bull weanling prices:
- Limousin: 235kg – €730 or €3.10/kg;
- Limousin: 245kg – €800 or €3.26/kg;
- Charolais: 275kg – €870 or €3.16/kg;
- Charolais: 290kg – €900 or €3.10/kg;
- Charolais: 315kg – €1,040 or €3.30/kg;
- Limousin: 440kg – €1,100 or €2.50/kg;
- Charolais: 450kg – €1,130 or €2.51/kg;
- Limousin: 460kg – €1,120 or €2.43/kg;
- Charolais: 480kg – €1,160 or €2.41/kg;
- Charolais: 485kg – €1,250 or €2.57/kg.
Top store heifers prices:
- Angus: 410kg – €1,200 or 2.92/kg;
- Limousin: 425kg – €1,150 or €2.70/kg;
- Simmental: 430kg – €1,190 or €2.76/kg;
- Limousin: 440kg – €1,300 or €2.95/kg;
- Charolais: 480kg – €1,250 or €2.60/kg;
- Limousin: 510kg – €1,380 or €2.70/kg;
- Charolais: 560kg – €1,360 or €2.42/kg;
- Limousin: 620kg – €1,420 or €2.29/kg;
- Charolais: 630kg – €1,400 or €2.22/kg;
- Charolais: 690kg – €1,640 or €2.37/kg.
Top store bullock prices:
- Limousin: 410kg – €1,110 or €2.70/kg;
- Charolais: 430kg – €1,130 or €2.62/kg;
- Charolais: 440kg – €1,160 or €2.63/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,200 or €2.60/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,300 or €2.82/kg;
- Limousin: 470kg – €1,210 or €2.57/kg;
- Limousin: 490kg – €1,250 or €2.55/kg;
- Charolais: 495kg – €1,330 or €2.68/kg.