Small numbers help to create an excellent trade at Kilkenny
George Candler reported an excellent trade for lambs at Kilkenny Mart this week, which he believes was helped by the smaller numbers on offer.
The strong trade led to a 100% clearance on the day, with George hopeful that the confidence that has returned to the trade since 2020 will continue into 2021.Also Read: Fat lambs hit €155/head at Athenry Mart
Lamb prices on Monday (January 11) reached a high of €145/head. Butcher lambs made from €128/head up to €145/head or from €2.60/kg up to €2.82/kg.
Sample butcher lamb prices:
- 12 lambs weighing 55kg sold for €145/head or €2.64/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 54kg sold for €142/head or €2.63/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €141/head or €2.71/kg;
- 14 lambs weighing 51kg sold for €140/head or €2.75/kg;
- 12 lambs weighing 50kg sold for €141/head or €2.82/kg;
- 13 lambs weighing 49kg sold for €132/head or €2.69/kg.
Factory lambs were a very lively trade and sold to highs of €141/head (or €3.00/kg). In general, these lots traded from €120/head up to €141/head.
Sample factory lamb prices:
- 12 lambs weighing 47kg sold for €141/head or €3.00/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 46kg sold for €135/head or €2.93/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €127/head or €2.82/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 44kg sold for €122/head or €2.77/kg.
Forward store lambs at Kilkenny on Monday sold up to €116/head. Overall, store lambs, both light and forward types made from €89/head up to €115-116/head.
Sample store lamb prices:
- 16 lambs weighing 41kg sold for €116/head or €2.83/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 40kg sold for €112/head or €2.80/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 38kg sold for €95/head or €2.50/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 36kg sold for €103/head or €2.86/kg;
- Seven lambs weighing 34kg sold for €89/head or €2.62/kg.
Lastly, cull ewes traded from €85/head for feeding types up to €145/head for heavy culls.