There was a strong demand for forward beef cattle it seems at Waterford Ross Mart last Saturday (April 3).
During a special show and sale, factory agents, farmers and northern customers were reportedly battling it out to get their hands on some of the top lots on offer.
Speaking to Agriland this week about the sale, manager Richard Kirwan commented that it was a tremendous day for farmers selling cattle.
He said: “It was just great to see farmers being paid a good price for the quality animals that they brought forward on Saturday.
“The champion heifer that topped the sale at €2,770 or €4.13/kg [for a Limousin heifer weighing 670kg] was the result of a bidding war between two suckler farmers from the west of Ireland and Slaney Meats, Bunclody.”
In the end it proved to be Slaney Meats that eventually won out the bidding for the popular female.
Commenting on the top-priced bullock, he added:
“The bullocks were topped with a strong price too of €2,550 or €3.18/kg, for the champion Charolais bullock weighing 800kg.
Prices for bullocks:
- Continental beef bullocks: €950 – €1,630 over their weight;
- Continental store bullocks: €470 – €1090 over their weight;
- Hereford and Angus beef bullocks: €725 – €1,065 over their weight;
- Hereford and Angus store bullocks: €430 – €690 over their weight;
- Heavy Friesian bullocks: €500 – €715 over their weight;
- Lighter Friesian bullocks: €245 – €465 over their weight.
Prices for heifers:
- Continental beef heifers: €835 to €1,370 over their weight;
- Continental store heifers: €570– €1,145 over their weight;
- Hereford and Angus beef heifers: €570 – €780 over their weight;
- Hereford and Angus store heifers: €370– €610 over their weight.
Prices for cows:
- Continental beef cows: €680 – €1,135 over their weight;
- Continental store cows: €450 – €650 over their weight;
- Friesian beef cows: €370 – €670 over their weight;
- Friesian store cows: €210 – €425 over their weight.