Donedeal issues guide for safe online buying
Donedeal has issued a number of guidelines which will help those buying goods off its website stay safe.
These guidelines are specifically aimed at the buyer and include tips like meet the seller locally, keep your mobile phone turned on and be respectful of the seller’s privacy.
Guidelines on viewing items advertised on Donedeal
- Deal with people locally, who you can meet in person.
- Arrange a time and place you feel comfortable with.
- Meet in a well-lit, busy, public place.
- Don’t meet the buyer alone if you are meeting in a public place.
- Give somebody else the details of whom, where and when you’re meeting.
- Keep your mobile phone with you.
- Be respectful the sellers privacy.
The Donedeal guide also says that buyers should be aware of viewing goods that are cheaper than normal as these items may be forgeries or fakes.
Top tips on buying goods off Donedeal
- Beware if the goods are cheaper than normal.
- Be wary if a seller is putting pressure on you to make a quick decision.
- Buyers should be aware of forgeries especially big brand name goods, tickets and multimedia products.
- Ask for the sellers landline number in case there is a problem with the product.
The classified website has also indicated that buyers should never pay for goods in advance and it recommends that buyers should meet with the seller of the item.
Donedeal’s guidelines on payment methods
- Do not pay in advance for goods.
- Ensure you have full access to your purchase before handing over all your money.
- Use cash or bank drafts when paying for goods.
- Never pay for goods through Western Union or other similar money transfer services as it does not endorse companies that will transfer on behalf of the buyer.
- If you decide to pay via PayPal make sure you select that you are paying for goods and services.