Avoid Harm on the Farm 2019 safety poster winners announced
More than 3,500 children from 98 Northern Ireland schools put pens, pencils and crayons to paper over the last few months to highlight the important issue of farm safety.
On average, around 100 serious farm accidents take place every month in the region – a figure which only includes incidents in which medical attention was required.
The 2019 Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) ‘Avoid Harm on the Farm’ calendar will feature winning entries from this year’s children’s poster competition.
The calendar’s launch event took place at Broughshane Primary School in Co. Antrim, where three of the winning entrants attend.
Avoid Harm on the Farm
Speaking at the launch, HSENI chairman Derek Martin said: “The annual HSENI child safety on farms poster competition is a great way for pupils across Northern Ireland to think about the daily dangers on a farm and the steps they can take to be safe on the farm.
This year, once again, school children in rural primary schools have shown great artistic flair – it has not been an easy task for HSENI to choose the 12 entries for the calendar from over 3,500 entries.
“Additionally, the calendar provides a useful daily planner for farming families and offers a reminder of farm safety messages throughout the year. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the pupils for their contribution in this competition.”
Keeping safe around slurry and watching for children when reversing vehicles were among the topics represented in the winning entries.
Along with HSENI, this year’s calendar has been co-sponsored by two of the Farm Safety Partnership (FSP) Affiliate Organisations, Dale Farm and the Northern Ireland Safety Group (NISG).
As FSP Affiliates these organisations have pledged to use their position and resources to promote the farm safety message and HSENI is very grateful for their support.
2019 poster competition winners
- 1st Prize – Robyn Gordon, Clough Primary School;
- 2nd Prize – Cuisle McKeown, Mary Queen of Peace PS;
- 3rd Prize – Cassie Kerr, Mary Queen of Peace PS.
Key Stage 1
- 1st Prize – Sofia Steele, Broughshane Primary School;
- 2nd Prize – Emma Sinclair, Hezlett Primary School;
- 3rd Prize – Kallum Kinnear, Broughshane Primary School.
Key Stage 2
- 1st Prize – Daniel Adams, Clough Primary School;
- 2nd Prize – Leonie Harron, Irvinestown Primary School;
- 3rd Prize – Poppy Millar, Broughshane Primary School.
- 1st Prize – William McGrath, Beechlawn Special School;
- 2nd Prize – Jordan Moore, Rossmar School;
- 3rd Prize – Sally Grimason, Beechlawn Special School.