Mart trade: Round up of weekly prices
As most of the mart news this past week has focused on the lack of buyer presence around the ringside (as Level 5 restrictions are imposed) – AgriLand takes a brief look at how marts around the country have been trading as online buyers come to the fore.
Over 390 lots of bullocks were traded at Mid-Tipp Mart’s weekly Monday (October 26) sale of cattle.
Commenting on the lack of physical buyer presence, mart manager Martin Ryan stated: “It was almost eerie to see the sales rings empty again. The sale was not as big as previous weeks, with a lot of farmers opting for the ‘wait and see’ approach
“Prices were slightly back on last week although some were slightly higher in different weight brackets. The online aspect attracted more northern interest for some of the heavier cattle,” Martin said.
Although low in numbers, the trade for heavier-forward continental-bred bullocks weighing 590-760kg saw prices range from €1.92/kg to €2.07/kg.
Sample forward steer prices:
- Limousin: 590kg – €1,170 or €1.98/kg;
- Limousin: 595kg – €1,240 or €2.08/kg;
- Charolais: 638kg – €1,320 or €2.07/kg;
- Charolais: 660kg – €1,330 or €2.02/kg;
- Limousin: 760kg – €1,500 or €1.97/kg.
The heavier store bullock trade had a larger range in prices between €1.50/kg to €2.37/kg.
Sample heavier store steer prices:
- Angus: 511kg – €1,010 or €1.98/kg;
- Friesian: 520kg – €780 or €1.50/kg;
- Friesian: 552kg – €900 or €1.63/kg;
- Limousin: 575kg – €1,330 or €2.31/kg;
- Charolais: 577kg – €1,110 or €1.92/kg.
Lighter store steers, weighing from 370kg to 500kg, saw Friesian-bred bullocks ranging from €1.49/kg to €1.65/kg. Angus and Hereford-bred steer prices ranged from €1.79/kg to €2.03/kg, with one stand out Angus-bred bullock achieving a price of €2.21/kg.
Continental-bred steers weighing between 400kg to 500kg were selling at an average of €2.04/kg.
Sample lighter store steer prices:
- Angus: 373kg – €730 or €1.96/kg;
- Limousin: 395kg – €940 or €2.38/kg;
- Friesian: 402kg – €640 or €1.59/kg;
- Hereford: 423kg – €810 or €1.81/kg;
- Charolais: 475kg – €1,075 or €2.21/kg.
The heifer trade saw forward animals, weighing between 580kg to 630kg, trading at €2.12/kg to 2.01/kg, with one Friesian-bred heifer making €1.62/kg. Both the heavy and light store heifers achieved similar prices per kilo ranging from €1.68/kg to €2.15/kg.
Sample forward-store heifer prices:
- Charolais: 520kg – €1,050 or €2.02/kg;
- Limousin: 535kg – €1,080 or €2.02/kg;
- Limousin: 542kg – €1,160 or €2.14/kg;
- Simmental: 550kg – €1,110 or €2.02/kg;
- Limousin: 562kg – €1,180 or €2.10/kg.
Sample lighter store heifer prices:
- Hereford: 372kg – €660 or €1.77/kg;
- Charolais: 410kg – €810 or €1.98/kg;
- Angus: 438kg – €740 or €1.69/kg;
- Friesian: 455kg – €690 or €1.52/kg;
- Limousin: 460kg – €800 or €1.74/kg.
The cull cow trade saw prices for continental-bred cattle achieve prices ranging between €1.18kg to €1.48/kg. Dairy cows traded hands at prices between €0.58/kg to €1.20/kg.
On Thursday (October 22), Ennis Mart held its weekly sale of of heifers, cull cows and aged bulls.
With an overall clearance of 95% achieved, commenting on the trade a mart spokesperson stated: “The store heifers held a very strong trade, but older heifers were a shade easier. Cull cows held the trade very well, with a good selection of stock in this ring.”
Aged bulls traded on the day to an average price of €1.61/kg.
Sample heifer prices:
- Charolais: 335kg – €880 or €2.63/kg;
- Limousin: 370kg – €990 or €2.67/kg;
- Limousin: 375kg – €910 or €2.42/kg;
- Limousin: 465kg – €1,110 or €2.39/kg;
- Limousin: 490kg – €1,320 or €2.69/kg;
- Limousin: 505kg – €1,210 or €2.39/kg;
- Limousin: 550kg – €1,290 or €2.34/kg.
Sample cull cow prices:
- Charolais: 550kg – €980 or €1.78/kg;
- Limousin: 655kg – €1,260 or €1.92/kg;
- Friesian: 655kg – €860 or €1.31/kg;
- Friesian: 740kg – €1,010 or €1.36/kg;
- Limousin: 775kg – €1,440 or €1.86/kg;
- Charolais: 850kg – €1,570 or €1.85/kg;
- Charolais: 995kg – €1,760 or €1.77/kg.
Castlerea Mart held its weekly sale of bullocks last Monday (October 19). Commenting on the trade of bullocks, Brendan Egan – the mart manager – stated: “Prices maintained for the quality stores, but plainer type lots tended to be harder to sell.”
Sample bullock prices:
- Limousin: 455kg – €1,200 or €2.63/kg;
- Charolais: 475kg – €1,330 or €2.80/kg;
- Angus: 530kg – €1,240 or €2.33/kg;
- Charolais: 535kg – €1,460 or €2.72/kg;
- Limousin: 570kg – €1,580 or €2.77/kg;
- Charolais: 630kg – €1,590 or €2.52/kg;
- Limousin: 650kg – €1,440 or €2.21/kg;
- Angus: 690kg – €1,390 or €2.01/kg.
The mart also held its sale of weanlings last Thursday (October 22). Commenting on the trade, Brendan noted: “Stronger bull weanlings were tougher sold this week, with plainer type animals harder sold also.
“Weanling heifers peaked at €3.24/kg, but online buyers were more selective this week.”
Sample weanling bull prices:
Charolais: 190kg – €580 or €3.05/kg;
Limousin: 160kg – €460 or €2.87/kg;
Charolais: 230kg – €730 or €3.17/kg;
Charolais: 270kg – €800 or €2.96/kg;
Charolais: 305kg – €780 or €2.55/kg;
Charolais: 445kg – €970 or €2.17/kg;
Limousin: 465kg – €1,050 or €2.25/kg.
Sample weanling heifer prices:
Charolais: 225kg – €730 or €3.24/kg;
Limousin: 245kg – €790 or €3.22/kg;
Limousin: 285kg – €820 or €2.87/kg;
Limousin: 305kg – €820 or €2.68/kg;
Charolais: 310kg – €890 or €2.87/kg;
Charolais: 315kg – €900 or €2.85/kg;
Charolais: 320kg – €820 or €2.56/kg.