Firm trade despite challenging ground conditions – Brendan Egan, Castlerea Mart
Castlerea Mart held its weekly cattle sale on Thursday last, August 6. Brendan Egan, the mart’s manager, said that a large number of stock was presented for sale.
He highlighted that deteriorating ground conditions, as a result of wet weather, have become an issue in the mart’s catchment, but noted that despite this, the trade held firm for all categories.
This was definitely the case for steers, with Brendan highlighting that top-quality lots hit “very fancy prices”.
- Charolais: 490kg – €1,340 or €2.73/kg;
- Limousin: 450kg – €1,190 or €2.64/kg;
- Limousin: 590kg – €1,400 or €2.37/kg;
- Simmental: 505kg – €1,390 or €2.75/kg;
- Charolais: 765kg – €1,690 or €2.20/kg;
- Charolais: 500kg – €1,250 or €2.50/kg.
Apart from that, he said, prices were unchanged for both heifer and cull cow lots. Weanlings are starting to come on stream at the Roscommon-based venue, with the trade starting on a bright note, he said.
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,100 or €2.39/kg;
- Limousin: 385kg – €1,080 or €2.80/kg;
- Limousin: 410kg – €1,040 or €2.53/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 685kg – €1,390 or €2.02/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 675kg – €1,440 or €2.13/kg;
- Limousin: 630kg – €1,350 or €2.14/kg.
Furthermore, cows with calves at foot made €1,100-1,900/unit, with springers selling from €1,090/head to €1,100/head. Additionally, breeding bulls were reported to make €1,070-1,570/head.
- Limousin: 680kg – €1,370 or €2.02/kg;
- Aberdeen Angus: 815kg – €1,400 or €1.71/kg;
- Charolais: 845kg – €1,600 or €1.89/kg;
- Friesian: 495kg – €300 or €0.60/kg.
Moving to the calf ring, young calves made from €160/head to €260/head, while runners made €250-780/head.
- Charolais: 265kg – €700 or €2.64/kg;
- Charolais: 375kg – €890 or €2.37/kg;
- Limousin: 315kg – €760 or €2.41/kg;
- Limousin: 280kg – €900 or €3.21/kg.
Sample weanling bull prices:
- Charolais: 375kg – €1,080 or €2.88/kg;
- Charolais: 365kg – €980 or €2.68/kg;
- Limousin: 380kg – €1,100 or €2.89/kg;
- Charolais: 330kg – €840 or €2.54/kg.