There was an improved trade for lighter store cattle at Monday’s (March 1) sale in Dungarvan Mart, according to the mart’s manager Ger Flynn.
There were 200 cattle up for grabs at Monday’s sale, including 20 cows mainly consisting of Friesian breeding.
Speaking to AgriLand about this week’s sale, Ger stated: “The Friesian-bred cows sold up to a top price of €1.46/kg – with the majority selling at the €1.25-1.30/kg bracket.
“The nice cows were still making good money but the steam was probably gone out of the cow trade slightly. It just wasn’t as easy to get heavier Holstein Friesian cows [over 600kg] past the €1,000 mark compared to the week before.
The lighter store cattle between 300kg and 400kg have taken a big jump in prices this week, even for the lighter Friesian-bred stock. There was light Limousin bullocks weighing 340kg selling at €2.44/kg on Monday.
“Angus store bullocks were ranging mainly from €2.00/kg up to €2.35/kg. The Hereford bullocks were getting it hard to cross the €2.00/kg, with most of them selling closer to the €1.90/kg mark.
“In the heifer trade, the lighter Angus females sold up to €2.20/kg – with the heavier Angus heifers selling at €2.05-2.10/kg. The Hereford store heifers were ranging from €1.85/kg up to €1.95/kg.
“Heavy forward stores were in fierce demand but they are not rushing out yet. The heavier continental store heifers we had sold for €2.10-2.15/kg,” Ger concluded.
Sample cull cow prices:
- Friesian: 640kg – €940 or €1.46/kg;
- Friesian: 660kg – €920 or €1.39/kg;
- Friesian: 745kg – €1,000 or €1.34/kg;
- Friesian: 710kg – €940 or €1.32/kg.
Sample bullock prices:
- Six Hereford bullocks: 421kg – €930/head or €2.20/kg;
- Five Angus bullocks: 344kg – €810/head or €2.35/kg;
- Seven Friesian bullocks 545kg – €970/head or €1.78/kg;
- Four Limousin bullocks: 343kg – €840/head or €2.44/kg;
- Six Simmental bullocks: 428kg – €900/head or €2.10/kg.
Sample heifer prices:
- Limousin heifer: 385kg – €800 or €2.07/kg;
- Four Angus heifers: 361kg – €740/head or €2.05/kg;
- Seven Angus heifers: 300kg – €660/head or €2.20/kg;
- Four Angus heifers: 271kg – €580/head or €2.14/kg.