Outbreaks of Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD) continue to be a cause of significant economic loss and hardship for all Irish beef production systems.
The fact is, many contributing agents can produce similar clinical signs and this makes it difficult to identify which pathogen is causing the respiratory disease.
Good animal husbandry and farm management practices, including a comprehensive herd vaccination scheme, remain the best strategy to defend against a BRD outbreak this autumn.
Why choose a pneumonia vaccine with Iron Regulated Protein (IRP) technology?
This technology was developed and patented by the manufacturers of Bovilis Bovipast RSP to allow the vaccine protect against multiple strains of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica.
Only one cattle pneumonia vaccine registered in Ireland utilizes IRP technology.
Bovilis Bovipast RSP is the only cattle vaccine licensed to protect against Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica serotypes A1 and A6.
Protection against both strains is vitally important and is unique to Bovilis Bovipast RSP. Do not underestimate the importance of A6 as it has been found in 63% of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica infections in young beef animals!
So how does IRP technology work?
- Iron is needed for Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica to multiply
- When Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica reach the lungs of the animal, Iron Regulated Proteins (IRPs) on their surface absorb iron
- If cattle are vaccinated with Bovipast RSP before Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica reach the lungs, antibodies are produced against IRPs
- These antibodies attach to the IRPs on the surface of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica
- These antibodies reduce the ability of the bacteria to absorb iron
- This results in the failure of the Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica to multiply, thereby reducing clinical signs of pneumonia (fever, depression etc.)
Use Bovipast RSP in your weanlings this autumn!
- Only Bovipast RSP contains IRP technology
- Bovipast RSP provides the broadest protection against Pasteurella* and viral pneumonia**
- Only Bovipast RSP is licensed to protect against both Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica serotypes A1 and A6