Video: Two dogs have lucky escape after they’re overcome by slurry fumes

Two dogs on a farm in Northern Ireland had a lucky escape recently, after they were overcome by fumes from slurry that was agitating.

A video posted on Facebook by Ruairi Gildernew, which was sent to him by his brother Emmett, shows the two dogs overcome by the fumes.

While the dogs made a full recovery, the video shows them paralysed by the fumes – a reminder of the dangers of agitating slurry.

Writing on Facebook, Gildernew said that the video was “a timely reminder to all the rural dwellers on here [Facebook]”.

“My brother set up his slurry pump to mix his tank. Doors all opened, good breezy day and the tank has been mixed regularly (five-six times) this year.

“He walked 150 yards to the house to get something and straight back, no more than five minutes. When he got back this was how he found his dogs.

“Glad to report they all recovered just fine but this could so easily have been another tragedy on our farms. If you’re mixing slurry get out and stay out.

“Please share far and wide maybe we can help avoid another tragic accident like we’ve seen all too often over the years.”

A timely reminder to all the rural dwellers on here. My brother set up his slurry pump to mix his tank. Doors all opened, good breezy day and the tank has been mixed regularly (5-6 times) this year. He walked 150 yards to the house to get something and straight back, no more than 5 mins. When he got back this was how he found his dogs. Glad to report they all recovered just fine but this could so easily have been another tragedy on our farms. If you’re mixing slurry get out and stay out. Please share far and wide maybe we can help avoid another tragic accident like we’ve seen all too often over the years.

Posted by Ruairí Gildernew on Wednesday, August 31, 2016

CLASSIFIED ADVERTS