Sheep marts: Lambs easier by up to €4-5/head in places
Speaking to some mart managers over the past week, the trade for heavy and store lambs was easier, with prices for these types back by up to €4-5/head.
In some places, lambs were back a bit less – approximately €1-3/head, while some mart managers reported a steady, if not stronger trade, for lambs last week.
Butcher lamb prices across marts ranged from €112/head up to €120/head, with the majority selling for €115-118/head.
Factory-fit lambs, in general, made from €104/head up to €113/head, with some lots exceeding this price range in places.
Lighter store lambs, weighing anywhere from 25kg up to 37kg, sold from €59/head up to €92/head.Also Read: Store lambs the highlight of the sale at Roscommon Mart
Cast ewes, in particular heavy ewes, remain a good trade. Heavy ewes, across marts, sold from €115/head up to €145/head, with the majority selling from €120/head up to €135/head.
Ewe hoggets continue to be a good trade. Prices for these lots ranged from €110/head up to €204/head. However, the majority of these types sold from €150/head up to €190/head.
Baltinglass Mart held its weekly sheep sale on Saturday last, July 25, which saw a near full clearance.
Heavy lambs were €1-3/head dearer compared to last week, while store lambs were met with a very “strong, brisk trade”, according to the mart manager, Tom Coleman.
The top price on the day went to a pen of lambs weighing 50kg that sold for €120/head. Factory-fit lambs made anywhere from €105/head up to €118/head.
Ewe hoggets fetched €130/head up to €180/head, while two, three and four-year-old ewes sold for up to €140/head.
Additionally, cast ewes sold from €60/head up to €130/head.
Sample lamb prices:
- 19 lambs weighing 50kg sold for €120/head;
- Five lambs weighing 46kg sold for €118/head;
- Four lambs weighing 43kg sold for €113/head;
- Five lambs weighing 44kg sold for €105/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 36kg sold for €101/head;
- Four lambs weighing 36kg sold for €85/head;
- Five lambs weighing 30kg sold for €78/head;
- Nine lambs weighing 32kg sold for €74/head;
- 14 lambs weighing 29kg sold for €70/head;
- 25 lambs weighing 30kg sold for €63/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 25kg sold for €59/head.
Another large entry of sheep was reported at Dowra Mart’s weekly sheep sale on Friday last, July 24.
The trade was quieter across the board for all classes of sheep, according to the mart manager, Terry McGovern.
Factory-type lambs made from €95/head up to €113/head. Forward-type store lambs weighing from 38kg up to 42kg sold from €95/head up to €104/head.
Lighter store lambs weighing 31-37kg made from €78/head up to €95/head. Mountain-type store lambs sold for €55-80/head.
Ewe hoggets made from €110/head up to €160/head, while cull ewes sold from €50/head up to a top price of €115/head.
Sample lamb prices:
- Three lambs weighing 54kg sold for €112/head;
- Seven lambs weighing 48kg sold for €111/head;
- 17 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €110/head;
- 28 lambs weighing 43.5kg sold for €108/head;
- 15 lambs weighing 42kg sold for €104/head;
- 21 lambs weighing 39.5kg sold for €101.50/head;
- 15 lambs weighing 36kg sold for €93.50/head;
- 18 lambs weighing 37.5kg sold for €91/head;
- 21 lambs weighing 34kg sold for €85/head;
- 24 lambs weighing 31kg sold for €78.50/head.
Lamb prices were back €4-5/head at Enniscorthy Mart on Wednesday, July 22, according to the assistant mart manager, Kevin Murphy.
However, he did note that the trade still remains “very good” for the time of the year.
On the day, butcher lambs and the heavier factory-fit lambs weren’t as plentiful as previous weeks. Butcher lamb prices ranged from €115/head for lambs weighing 49kg and up to €121/head for lambs weighing 50kg.
Factory-fit lambs sold from €102/head for lambs weighing 42kg and up to €113/head for lambs weighing 46kg.
Butcher and factory-fit lamb prices:
- Seven lambs weighing 49kg sold for €115/head;
- Three lambs weighing 48kg sold for €117/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €121/head;
- 22 lambs weighing 42kg sold for €109/head;
- 30 lambs weighing 44kg sold for €107/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 43kg sold for €110/head;
- 18 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €113/head.
There was a big entry of store lambs on the day, Kevin noted. Forward stores made from €87/head for lambs weighing 38kg and up to €100/head for lambs weighing 41kg.
Light stores sold from €74/head for lambs weighing 25kg and up to €88/head for lambs weighing 37kg.
Sample store lamb prices:
- 13 lambs weighing 39kg sold for €90/head;
- 11 lambs weighing 40kg sold for €96/head;
- 15 lambs weighing 43kg sold for €99/head;
- 18 lambs weighing 33kg sold for €80/head;
- 30 lambs weighing 34kg sold for €85/head;
- 22 lambs weighing 35kg sold for €80/head;
- Seven lambs weighing 34kg sold for €82/head.
Kevin added that cast ewes remain a “great trade”. Heavy cull ewes sold from €118/head up to a top price of €145/head.
170 ewe hoggets were presented for sale on the day. Prices for these lots ranged from €176/head up to a top price of €204/head.