‘Sharp, short sale’ sees lambs reach €128/head at Kilkenny Mart
Kilkenny Mart’s auctioneer, George Candler, reported an excellent selling trade for all classes of sheep at this morning’s sale.
450 sheep were presented for sale and a 100% clearance rate was reported. Lambs peaked at €128/head and, again, heavy, well-fleshed lambs were in short supply.
Butcher lambs sold from €2.20/kg up to €2.46/kg or from €117/head up to €128/head.
Sample butcher lamb prices:
- 15 lambs weighing 58kg sold for €128/head or €2.21/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 54kg sold for €123/head or €2.28/kg;
- 10 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €124/head or €2.38/kg;
- 12 lambs weighing 50kg sold for €123/head or €2.46/kg.
Factory lambs sold from €2.20/kg up to €2.51/kg or from €104/head up to €115/head.
Sample factory-fit lamb prices:
- 18 lambs weighing 47kg sold for €114/head or €2.43/kg;
- 14 lambs weighing 46kg sold for €115/head or €2.50/kg;
- 22 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €113/head or €2.51/kg;
- 15 lambs weighing 43kg sold for €104/head or €2.42/kg.
Store lambs this morning sold from €74/head up to a tops of €101/head or from €2.20/kg up to €2.51/kg.
Sample store lamb prices:
- 15 lambs weighing 41kg sold for €101/head or €2.46/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 38kg sold for €90/head or €2.37/kg;
- Six lambs weighing 37kg sold for €93/head or €2.51/kg;
- Eight lambs weighing 33kg sold for €74/head or €2.24/kg.
George noted that cull ewes were in short supply and this led to a good trade with heavy ewes topping out at €134/head. Prices for cull ewes ranged from €88/head up to €134/head.