It was positive to see that some beef farmers were still unfazed by the halt in beef quotes last week, as store cattle are still proving to be in demand.
The lighter store steer, under 500kg, is trading well in most marts, with high farmer demand still being noted by mart managers.
There was also a higher demand for forward-type Angus-bred cattle last week. As processor specifications are persuading finishers to target their breed bonus payment at slaughter.
The cull cow trade had previously taken a hit two weeks ago, as factory prices were pulled. However, towards the end of last week, a slightly improved trade was highlighted by mart managers.Also Read: Increase of online buyers at Tullamore Mart
This week AgriLand takes a look at the recent sales of cattle in Mohill, Ennis and Carnew Marts.
Mohill Mart recorded a 97% clearance rate from a total of 220 cattle offered at its sale hosted last Saturday (November 14).
The mart’s manager stated: “Buyers are beginning to settle in very well to the online buying. From the sellers’ point of view, they may still feel they are at a loss because they can’t come to the mart to sell their stock.”
The dry cow trade had “fallen back slightly” in recent weeks, according to the mart’s manager, but signs of recovery were noted at Saturday’s sale. One seller of continental-bred cows, weighing on average 727kg, achieved an average price of €1,175.
Dry cow sample prices:
- Charolais: 600kg – €850 or €1.41/kg;
- Friesian: 650kg – €740 or €1.13/kg;
- Limousin: 670kg – €1,080 or €1.61/kg;
- Limousin: 690kg – €990 or €1.43/kg;
- Charolais: 725kg – €920 or €1.26/kg;
- Limousin: 740kg – €1,370 or €1.85/kg;
There was a special sale of bullocks held in the mart on Saturday, which aided the trade. The demand for bullocks was noted to be “sharper than last week, with buyers continuing to be keen for the quality stores”.
“The quality continental-bred store bullock sold at an average of €2.10/kg, while the more forward and heavier bullock sold for a higher average of €2.20/kg.”
Sample store bullock prices:
- Hereford: 370kg – €740 or €2.00/kg;
- Hereford: 380kg – €750 or €1.97/kg;
- Limousin: 420kg – €1,020 or €2.42/kg;
- Charolais: 445kg – €1,050 or €2.35/kg;
- Angus: 445kg – €1,140 or €2.56/kg;
- Limousin: 460kg – €1,000 or €2.17/kg;
- Angus: 465kg – €1,080 or €2.32/kg;
- Charolais: 465kg – €1,080 or €2.32/kg;
- Charolais: 490kg – €1,120 or €2.28/kg;
- Limousin: 505kg – €1,180 or €2.33/kg.
Sample forward bullock prices:
- Charolais: 580kg – €1,320 or €2.27/kg;
- Charolais: 585kg – €1,290 or €2.20/kg;
- Charolais: 545kg – €1,250 or €2.29/kg;
- Charolais: 616kg – €1,340 or €2.17/kg;
- Charolais: 640kg – €1,430 or €2.23/kg.
The sale of heifers also recorded a “great clearance”. Store heifers were trading, on average, from €2.20/kg to €2.25/kg.
Sample heifer prices:
- Limousin: 370kg – €680 or €1.83/kg;
- Limousin: 375kg – €670 or €1.78/kg;
- Charolais: 440kg – €1,020 or €2.31/kg;
- Limousin: 455kg – €940 or €2.06/kg;
- Charolais: 460kg – €1,060 or €2.30/kg;
- Charolais: 475kg – €1,000 or €2.10/kg;
- Charolais: 515kg – €1,200 or €2.33/kg;
- Charolais: 660kg – €1,350 or €2.04/kg.
Ennis Mart recorded a similar number of entries, in comparison to the previous week, for its sale held on Thursday last (November 12).
The majority of the cull cows brought forward for sale were continental-bred. Commenting on the cull cow trade, a mart spokesperson stated: “Beef cows were a shade better than last week, but feeder and store-types were a shade easier.”
Of the aged bulls entered for the sale, they sold to an average of €1.47/kg.
Sample cull cow prices:
- Friesian: 450kg – €580 or €1.29/kg;
- Friesian: 475kg – €590 or €1.24/kg;
- Charolais: 575kg – €1,020 or €1.77/kg;
- Limousin: 605kg – €1,150 or €1.90/kg;
- Limousin: 685kg – €1,370 or €2.00/kg;
- Limousin: 695kg – €1,560 or €2.24/kg;
- Friesian: 715kg – €900 or €1.26/kg;
- Belgian Blue: 735kg – €1,550 or €2.11/kg;
- Limousin: 755kg – €1,540 or €2.04/kg;
- Limousin: 905kg – €1,610 or €1.78/kg;
- Angus: 910kg – €1,440 or €1.58/kg.
Over 400 cattle were on offer at Ennis Mart’s sale of bullocks last Friday (November 16). A mart spokesperson stated that “good quality” bullocks were on offer.
The trade was noted to be “a shade sharper” on the previous week. Customers purchasing online were “more anxious” for bullocks last week it seems, according to a mart spokesperson.
Sample store bullock prices:
- Hereford: 352kg – €780 or €2.21/kg;
- Limousin: 472kg – €1,210 or €2.56/kg;
- Limousin: 488kg – €1,210 or €2.48/kg;
- Angus: 485kg – €1,020 or €2.10/kg;
- Charolais: 498kg – €1,240 or €2.48/kg;
- Friesian: 520kg – €940 or €1.81/kg;
- Charolais: 527kg – €1,330 or €2.52/kg;
- Charolais: 530kg – €1,390 or €2.62/kg;
- Angus: 547kg – €1,170 or €2.14/kg;
- Charolais: 550kg – €1,400 or €2.54/kg;
- Angus: 575kg – €1,250 or €2.17/kg;
- Limousin: 670kg – €1,740 or €2.60/kg;
- Limousin: 775kg – €1,750 or €2.26/kg.
Carnew Mart held its weekly cattle sale last Saturday, November 14. According to David Quinn, the mart’s manager, “smaller numbers were on offer” as a total of 480 head of cattle consisting of both bullock and heifers were brought forward for sale.
The trade for more forward-type heifers and steers was described as “stronger, with improved factory and feedlot demand for Angus-bred cattle”.
The store trade was met with a “strong farmer demand for all classes”, according to David.
- Friesian: 410kg – €600 or €1.46/kg;
- Limousin: 371kg – €920 or €2.47/kg;
- Hereford: 395kg – €710 or €1.79/kg;
- Limousin: 483kg – €1,120 or €2.31/kg;
- Angus: 475kg – €980 or €2.06/kg.
- Limousin: 504kg – €1,030 or €2.04/kg;
- Limousin: 523kg – €1,240 or €2.37/kg;
- Charolais: 525kg – €1,140 or €2.17/kg;
- Angus: 602kg – €1,340 or €2.22/kg;
- Limousin: 648kg – €1,510 or €2.33/kg.
- Charolais: 410kg – €1,000 or €2.43/kg;
- Friesian: 515kg – €900 or €1.74/kg;
- Aubrac: 447kg – €790 or €1.76/kg;
- Limousin: 519kg – €1,190 or €2.29/kg;
- Limousin: 546kg – €1,200 or €2.19/kg.
- Friesian: 555kg – €1,040 or €1.87/kg;
- Limousin: 604kg – €1,390 or €2.30/kg;
- Charolais: 627kg – €1,390 or €2.21/kg;
- Limousin: 640kg – €1,470 or €2.29/kg;
- Limousin: 706kg – €1,630 or €2.30/kg.