560 sheep were on offer at Carnew Mart on Thursday last, December 31, in what was described as a super trade by the mart’s manager, David Quinn.
According to David, prices were up €5-10/head on pre-Christmas sales, with a top price of €141/head being achieved for a pen of 20 lambs weighing 63kg.
Lambs in excess of 50kg sold strongly on the day, with 51-55kg lambs selling between €132/head and €139/head.
Well-fleshed lambs in the 47-49kg bracket were also in high demand, with prices for these lots ranging from €125 up to €129/head, with some lots in certain cases making upwards of €130/head.
Sample lamb prices:
- 20 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €126/head;
- 17 lambs weighing 52kg sold for €136/head;
- 51 lambs weighing 51kg sold for €132/head;
- 12 lambs weighing 47kg sold for €127/head;
- 17 lambs weighing 53kg sold for €136/head;
- 16 lambs weighing 48kg sold for €129/head;
- 20 lambs weighing 48.7kg sold for €134/head;
- 12 lambs weighing 43kg sold for €104/head;
- 15 lambs weighing 36kg sold for €100/head;
- 13 lambs weighing 55kg sold for €139/head;
- 15 lambs weighing 45kg sold for €122/head;
- 10 lambs weighing 55kg sold for €135/head.
Cull ewes also traded well on the day, with heavy cull ewes topping out at €135/head. Feeding ewes started from €78/head.
A selection of in-lamb ewes (broken mouthed) sold from €135/head up to €145/head.