Government plans 85% increase in agri food exports by 2025 (+23,000 jobs)
The Government today announced its new ten year strategy for the agri food sector which plans an 85% increase in exports from the sector to €19 billion.
The Taoiseach Enda Kenny formally launched the Foodwise 2025 plan this morning said it was part of his governments overall strategy to grow each enterprise sector across the economy creating jobs in all four corners of Ireland.
The Food Wise 2025 document predicts that Ireland by 2025 can:
- increase the value of agri food exports by 85% to €19 billion
- increase the value added to the sector by 70% to €13 billion
- increase the value of primary production by 65% to €10 billion
The Government hopes the plan will deliver a further 23,000 jobs in the agri food sector by 2025.
Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney said the plan sets out a vision for the industry to continue along its path to sustainable growth and recognises the strategic importance of specific market and consumer insights if global opportunities are to be fully exploited.
The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine’s national strategy for the Agri-Food Sector up to 2025 which outlines the key actions required to ensure that the agri food sector (primary agriculture, the food and beverage industry, fisheries and fish processing, forestry and forestry processing) maximises its contribution to overall economic growth, job creation and environmental sustainability over the coming decade and builds upon the progress achieved under Food Harvest 2020.
This Strategy was developed by a Committee of leading figures from the agri-food sector.
The key messages from Food Wise 2025 are:
- The Irish agri food sector has been very resilient throughout the recent economic turbulence with significant development within the sector. Food and Drink exports have out-performed other sectors of the economy (45% growth in Irish Agri food exports compared to 4% for overall merchandise exports 2009-2014 period)
- Food Wise 2025 has new ambitions for the sector for further growth, growth which is sustainable – economically, socially and environmentally
- Food Wise 2025 has harnessed the collective wisdom, experience and knowledge of leading industry stakeholders and sets a course for the industry of smarter greener more sustainable growth over the next decade
- Food Wise 2025 is a statement of intent from the industry to capitalise on a host of new growth opportunities arising from the ever-increasing global demand for food and for new and innovative food solutions. Ireland is well placed to meet these demands given our comparative advantage in producing a range of sustainable, safe, nutritious and innovative food products.