Glanbia Co-op announces €92 million share spin-out

Glanbia Co-operative Society Ltd (Glanbia Co-op) has transferred about €92 million worth of Glanbia plc shares to its members.

Coming in the form of a share spin-out, 14,700 of the co-op’s members are set to benefit financially from the decision.

Farmers holding 2,000 shares in the co-op will receive a payment of just under €4,792 and those holding 5,000 shares will receive close on €12,081 each. That’s based on a share price of €15.71 at the close of business on August 31, 2017.

According to Glanbia, the transaction is aimed at releasing a portion of the value of Glanbia Co-op and making it available to members at a time of significant investment on their farms.

Following the completion of the spin-out, Glanbia Co-op will remain the largest individual shareholder in Glanbia plc; it will account for 31.5% of the issued share capital – down from 36.5% prior to the transaction. Based on a share price of €15.71, that shareholding is worth €1.5 billion.

Glanbia Co-op also owns 60% of Glanbia Ireland; the other 40% is in the ownership of Glanbia plc.

The spin-out and the formation of the Glanbia Ireland joint venture were among a number of measures overwhelmingly approved by the eligible members of Glanbia Co-op at a Special General Meeting held in May of this year.

Chairman’s comments

The Chairman of Glanbia Co-operative Society Ltd, Henry Corbally, said: “The completion of the spin-out process represents the substantial completion of a wide-ranging set of proposals which were overwhelmingly approved by eligible Glanbia Co-op members at the Special General Meeting held at the Punchestown Event Centre on May 18, 2017.

“In addition to the share spin-out, members approved the creation of Glanbia Ireland through the acquisition of 60% of Dairy Ireland.

The creation of Glanbia Ireland enables the integration of three strong, well-invested Irish-based businesses to create value for all stakeholders.

“Specifically, it will help to maximise the opportunities created by a forecasted 30% growth in milk supply by Glanbia’s Irish milk suppliers to 2020,” he said.

More details

A detailed information pack, including details of their individual plc share allocations, will be issued to co-op members in mid-September.

On receipt of their Glanbia plc share certificates, shareholders can choose to sell or retain the shares as they see fit, Glanbia said.

Comments

Please be considerate of others when commenting. All comments posted are subject to our commenting policy. Comments violating this policy will be removed without notice.