Factories say carcase weight flexibility to be on plant-by-plant basis
Meat Industry Ireland (MII), which represents the meat factories, has set out its response to the Dowling Report. Here are its main points.
• Carcases up to 380kg are the desired product for premium markets;
• Carcases above 380kg have, and will continue to have, a market outlet, though not necessarily a premium market outlet;
• Carcases up to 400kg are not being penalised;
• It is now proposed that for the period up to 31st March 2015, industry will, in line with its commitment following its meeting with Minister Coveney, exercise further flexibility on weight ,given the concerns expressed about heavy carcases, which account for only a small proportion of overall cattle output.
• Weight flexibilities will be dealt with on a plant by plant basis and producers of heavy animals should engage early and directly with processors to establish the opportunity and best timing for marketing such animals.